The Washington Post:Americans are obsessed with parenting advice. Bloggers, magazines, whole Web sites urge us to do more. Or less. Be more Chinese, they implore. Or more French.But despite this constant flow of advice, we have very little idea how to make kids happy. Quantitative measures show that American children are among the most miserable in the developed world, and there’s a growing gap between our kids and those in other nations. America’s teens “trail much of the world on measures of school achievement, but are among the world leaders in violence, unwanted pregnancy, STDs, abortion, binge drinking, marijuana use, obesity, and unhappiness,” according to adolescence scholar Larry Steinberg. Read the whole story: The Washington Post More of our Members in the Media >
China’s H7N9 total grew by 22 cases last week, 3 deathsHong Kong’s Centre for Health Protection (CHP) in a regular update today said the mainland from Mar 3 to Mar 9 reported 22 more H7N9 avian influenza cases, 3 of them fatal. The pace of infections in China’s fifth and biggest wave has slowed some since illnesses peaked in February, but the country continues to report a steady stream of cases.Illness onsets for patients in the latest cases range from Feb 19 to Mar 4. The people are from nine provinces, with almost half reported in Henan, Jiangxi, Guangxi, and Sichuan. Eighteen have a history of exposure to poultry or poultry markets.Results from environmental sampling at 98 Guangdong province poultry markets from Feb 27 to Mar 5 found that 8.3% of 989 isolates were positive for H7 avian flu.China as now reported at least 494 cases in the fifth wave, and Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Macao have also reported H7N9 infections from the mainland.Mar 10 CHP report Poland, Romania, Slovakia report more H5N8 avian flu outbreaksThree countries in Europe—Poland, Romania, and Slovakia—reported more highly pathogenic H5N8 outbreaks in poultry and wild birds, according to the latest updates from the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE).Poland reported two poultry outbreaks on farms in Wielkopolska province in the west central part of the country. The events began on Mar 6 and Mar 8, and the virus killed 1,504 of 19,748 susceptible birds.In Romania, officials reported four more outbreaks, three in wild birds and one in backyard poultry, affecting Bucharest, the country’s capital, and two other provinces. The poultry outbreak began on Mar 8 in Teleorman county, killing 141 of 155 birds.In two separate reports, Slovakia noted two more H5N8 outbreaks, one in wild birds and the other involving backyard poultry. The wild bird outbreak involved a greylag goose found dead in a pond in Trnava region in the west on Feb 28. The poultry outbreak began on Mar 6 at a holding in Nitra region in west central Slovakia, killing 11 of 51 birds.Mar 10 OIE report on H5N8 in Poland Mar 10 OIE report on H5N8 in Romania Mar 10 OIE report on H5N8 in Slovakian wild birds Mar 10 OIE report on H5N8 in Slovakian poultry WHO notes Lassa fever cases in Benin, Togo, Burkina FasoThe World Health Organization (WHO) today said three African nations—Benin, Togo, and Burkina Faso—have reported recent cases of Lassa fever that could foretell more outbreaks in the region.Though Lassa fever is both seasonal and endemic in the region, these cases have occurred in regions with highly mobile populations. On Feb 11, a pregnant mother tested positive for Lassa in Benin, and subsequently her baby tested positive for the viral hemorrhagic fever in Togo. The mother died the day after a cesarean, but the baby remains in stable condition. Sixty-eight contacts in Benin and 29 contacts in Togo have been linked to these cases.On Feb 26, the Ministry of Health of Burkina Faso notified the WHO of a Lassa case in north Togo. The case, involving another pregnant woman, originated in Burkina Faso. She died after miscarrying on Mar 3. Contact tracing is ongoing, but at least 7 contacts in Togo and 135 in Burkina Faso have been found.Finally on Mar 2, a man in Togo was admitted to a hospital where he tested positive for Lassa fever. The man and his relatives are being treated and surveyed at home, and a total of 18 contacts have been identified.Lassa fever is spread to humans via infected rodents. It is endemic to Nigeria and some parts of West Africa.Mar 10 WHO update
Sep 30, 2020 Maritime Webinars Coming for CARICOM Students Sep 29, 2020 Related Posts A CARICOM Youngster Excelling in the Maritime Industry CARICOM Youth Ambassadors and other participants of the Caribbean Forum for Youth, Population and Development, chatted with Communications Officer, Jascene Malcolm during the event that was held in Georgetown, Guyana, 24-26 July, 2018. Listen to their views: CARICOM Youth Ambassadors’ Message – Caribbean… Aug 11, 2020 Share this:PrintTwitterFacebookLinkedInLike this:Like Loading… Samaidy Akima, the CARICOM Youth Ambassador from Suriname, let’s get to know her!The CARICOM Secretariat recently hosted a Forum on Youth Population and Development at the Marriott Hotel in Georgetown Guyana. The Forum was hosted in collaboration with the Caribbean Development Bank (CDB), EU Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean, (UNECLAC), United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), the Commonwealth Secretariat and other…July 30, 2018In “Associate Member States”Introducing Andre Browne, Dean of the CARICOM Youth Ambassadors CorpsSenior government officials from the Caribbean in the areas of population, youth and development, representatives of Caribbean youth, international organisations, civil society and academia are attending a Forum on Youth Population and Development in Georgetown, Guyana. Five of the CARICOM Youth Ambassadors (CYAs) are also participating in this forum which is…July 26, 2018In “Associate Member States”Meet McAllister Hunt, Saint Lucia’s CARICOM Youth AmbassadorThe Caribbean Community (CARICOM) Secretariat is currently hosting a Forum on Youth Population and Development in collaboration with the UNFPA, ECLAC, the Caribbean Development Bank and other stakeholders. The Forum is being held at the Marriott Hotel in Georgetown, Guyana, 24-26 July, 2018. Saint Lucia in the house! https://t.co/va0X4CwLw8 —…July 25, 2018In “Associate Member States”Share this on WhatsApp
Please see the Gazette’s dedicated coronavirus page here >> Find advice and updates here. The managing director of a criminal defence firm says he is enraged that he is having to chase HM Courts & Tribunals Service for a court risk assessment so he can decide whether or not it is safe to send out his staff.Michael Gray, who runs Chester firm Gray & Co Solicitors, has not sent any staff to court since lockdown restrictions were introduced in March. Over the past couple of weeks he says he has repeatedly asked to see HMCTS’s risk assessment for Warrington Magistrates’ Court – the only one of three courts operating in his area.Gray told the Gazette: ‘I am concerned that the local risk assessments have not been provided to me and other solicitors in advance of the decision of HMCTS to require defendants on bail to attend at court. In my opinion, the decision to increase the work in the court estate is premature and HMCTS is taking an unnecessary risk. Michael Gray‘There have been examples of good safety measures being put in place, for example video technology being used in overnight remand cases, but the court cannot operate in this way exclusively and they are now under pressure to push though more volume by requiring more people to attend in person.’Gray is also losing income by not sending solicitors to court. ‘That’s why I’m enraged – I’m at my wit’s end,’ he said.HMCTS states in an organisational risk assessment document on 15 May that it constantly monitors the arrangements in its buildings, using a local assessment tool.On 25 May, Gray emailed HMCTS with 11 questions. These include where the defendants see their solicitors in the court, what measures are in place to ensure social distancing, and what facilities are in place for social distancing in the cells.A letter sent on behalf of the Criminal Law Solicitors Association to HMCTS chief executive Susan Acland-Hood on Sunday states that ‘some of our member solicitors have requested copies of the local assessements and they have not been forthcoming. This essentially means that employers are unable to fulfil their own obligations under sections two and three of the Health and Safety at Work Act and subordinate legislation. We are concerned that the court estate is being opened to the public and profession court users alike, without these assessments being made available’.Yesterday, HMCTS announced that 16 more courts were reopening this week after they were assessed to be suitable for holding socially-distanced hearings.Law Society president Simon Davis said: ‘Where appropriate steps are taken to ensure good hygiene, appropriate distancing, and compliance with all other relevant guidance to minimise risk, courts should be safe to attend. This will be evident via the individual risk assessments for each site – which should be made available on request.’We would be concerned if people were being asked to attend court before an assessment has been supplied. Where a court is failing to do so, this should be raised with HMCTS at the earliest opportunity.’The Ministry of Justice has been approached for comment.Update (1:30pm): Michael Gray received the risk assessment for Warrington Magistrates’ Court.Update (6.45pm): A HMCTS spokesperson said: ‘Warrington Magistrates’ Court was deemed safe after thorough checks and we have issued copies of the risk assessment to those who have requested it.’ *The Law Society is keeping the coronavirus situation under review and monitoring the advice it receives from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office and Public Health England.
Related Joe Raedle/Getty Images(PORT ARTHUR, Texas) — Although Harvey’s floodwaters have begun to recede in parts of Port Arthur, Texas, Mayor Derrick Freeman told ABC News that an unknown number of residents remain stranded and some homes, including his own, are still inundated with knee-deep water.“Two nights ago, we had a lot of water. We got about 20 inches of water in about 24 hours, and it devastated our city,” Freeman said in an interview Thursday with Good Morning America co-anchor Robin Roberts. “There’s some parts that it’s receded, it’s gone down, but we still have people in 3- to 4-foot water in some homes.”In a Facebook livestream on Wednesday night, the mayor showed the 4 feet of water still inside his own home in the southeast Texas city.“We got some water, y’all. Harvey wasn’t playing,” Freeman said in the video.The mayor told ABC News that first responders and volunteer rescuers in Port Arthur will be going door to door to homes to conduct welfare checks.Days after Harvey made landfall in Texas as a Category 4 hurricane, the Beaumont-Port Arthur metropolitan area saw a record-shattering 26 or more inches of rainfall on Tuesday alone, unleashing treacherous torrents on the community, located some 85 miles east of Houston. Officials in Port Arthur were forced to evacuate a nursing home as well as the shelter at the Bob Bower Civic Center on Wednesday after the buildings began to fill with water.“It was something that we weren’t prepared for,” Freeman said in the interview on GMA. “We didn’t know that we would have to get them out of there while we were rescuing people out of 4-foot water.”Meanwhile, Motiva, the largest oil refinery in the United States, is shutting down due to the devastating floods in Port Arthur. Motiva announced in a statement early Wednesday that it began a “controlled shutdown of the Port Arthur refinery in response to increasing local flood conditions.” The refinery won’t reopen until flood waters recede, it said.A flash flood emergency for the cities of Beaumont and Port Arthur was extended until 4:30 p.m. Central Time on Wednesday. While the threat of heavy rains has ended in Houston, “catastrophic and life-threatening flooding” will continue in the Beaumont-Port Arthur area for the rest of the week, the National Weather Service said.Harvey made landfall again as a tropical storm, just west of Cameron, Louisiana, on Wednesday at 4 a.m. CT, with maximum sustained winds of 45 mph, according to the National Weather Service. The storm has led to at least 31 deaths over the past four days.The storm has weakened further, and its remnants will begin to move out of Texas and Louisiana. But it will continue to bring heavy rain and the threat of flooding to parts of the Tennessee Valley and the Ohio Valley through Friday, according to the National Weather Service.The Port Arthur mayor told ABC News that his biggest concern now is “the rebuild,” but he’s confident his city will do just that.“We’re going to bounce back,” Freeman said. “We got hit with Hurricane Ike, Hurricane Rita and Hurricane Harvey, and we’ve rebuilt every time. So we’re going to rebuild this time. We’re going to be OK.” Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMatico
Andrew McCutchen would like to end his career as a Pittsburgh Pirate. (Michael Perez / Associated Press)BRADENTON, Fla. (AP) _ Andrew McCutchen wants to end his career with the Pittsburgh Pirates, but it will take a new contract to ensure that happens.McCutchen, 29, has at least two seasons left on the $51.5 million deal he signed in 2012. On Monday, as position players reported to Pirates spring training camp, the All-Star center fielder did not blink when asked if he wants to extend his stay in Pittsburgh.“I think you know that answer,” McCutchen said. “Everyone knows I want to be here. That’s nothing new to anyone.”In December, owner Bob Nutting said he would like to see McCutchen retire as a Pirate.“That would be really cool,” McCutchen said. “It’s great to hear that from an owner.”However, Nutting has not indicated if he’s willing to pay the $20 million or more a year McCutchen might command on the open market. The Pirates consistently rank among the bottom third of the 30 MLB clubs in player payroll.McCutchen, the 2013 National League MVP, will make $13 million this season and $14 million in 2017. The Pirates hold a $14.5 million option for 2018.“I don’t know what my market value is. I haven’t discussed that with my agent,” McCutchen said. “I still stick with the (notion that) money doesn’t define me, because it doesn’t. But no one plays for free.”Over the winter, the budget-conscious Pirates parted with a pair of former first-round picks who were set to make about $15 million.First baseman Pedro Alvarez was non-tendered after batting .243 and making 23 errors last season. Second baseman Neil Walker, a Pittsburgh native, was traded to the New York Mets for pitcher Jon Niese.“You’d love to still have them as teammates, but we do understand that this is a business,” McCutchen said. “These things happen and we have to accept that.”When the Pirates drafted McCutchen with the 11th overall pick in 2005, they were in the midst of 20 consecutive losing seasons. The team has earned a NL wild-card berth in each of the past three years.The Pirates advanced to the division series in 2013, but lost the past two wild-card games at PNC Park. In 2014, they were shut out by San Francisco Giants ace Madison Bumgarner. Last year, they were blanked by Jake Arrieta of the Chicago Cubs.“It’s just one game, so it’s just a matter of which pitcher is on that day, who has their stuff,” McCutchen said. “Watching the (other playoff) games, it does sting knowing you could’ve been there.”McCutchen hopes the next collective bargaining agreement leads to a three-game wild-card series.“I think that would make it a little more equal,” McCutchen said. “I don’t know if I’d lobby for it, but I’m sure that’s one of the things they’ve been talking about.”
At the moment, it is expected that the Norwegian will take part in pre-season preparations with the first team, ahead of a loan move to a European club yet to be determined. 09/07/2016 at 21:22 Real Madrid signed the player in January 2015, for 2.8 million euros from Stromsgodset. CEST The 17-year-old Norwegian midfielder, who arrived at the club with the tag of being a future superstar, has seen his star wane in the last few years and the club is looking for a team to take the youngster. Therefore, the future of Odegaard seems to be in the German Bundesliga, as it is the league which most interests the player and his father. After 18 months with the second string Castilla, he has failed to adapt and has not shown a sufficient evolution in his game to make the leap to the first team. Sport EN The case of Martin Odegaard has become a real headache for those responsible of the sporting structure of Real Madrid. ‘Los Blancos’ are actively searching for a solution to the player’s situation. The ideal outcome would be to loan him to a mid-table Liga club. However, the salary of the youngster makes this a very difficult, and unlikely, option.
By CAM LUCADOU-WELLS Strap: Jailed over $780,000 theft … A PAKENHAM woman whose best friend stole $780,000 from her family…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.
By Mitchell Clarke Cardinia Highway Patrol say they’ve witnessed “far too many” collisions over the past few days due to sheer carelessness or…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.
By Bruce FuhrThe Nelson Daily SportsSpencer McLean and Matt Alderson each scored twice to spark Rossland/Trail to a 6-5 come-from-behind victory over Nelson Leafs in game one of the West Kootenay Minor Hockey Peewee Rep Playoff series Saturday at the NDCC Arena.Rossland/Trail leads the first-team-to-four-points series 2-0. Game two is Saturday, Feb. 19 in Trail.“We deserved a better fate,” said Nelson head coach Ron Podgorenko after the game. “We had a chance to tie the game in the final minute but just couldn’t do it.”Nelson looked to be in control of the contest leading 4-2 in the second. But Rossland/Trail out scored the hosts 4-1, including two power play goals during the second-period onslaught.“They got a couple of quick goals on us that really turned the game in their favour,” said Podgorenko, who was very happy with the effort of the Nelson squad.The teams exchanged first period goals — McLean for Rossland/Trail and Jacob Shukin for Nelson.Taylor Cooper, Jayden Maida, with his first of two in the game, and Matthew Brind’Amour, gave Nelson the two-goal advantage in the second.But Alderson scored twice and McLean and Ross Armour added singles to give Rossland/Trail a 5-4 lead after two periods. Blake Sidoni increased the margin to 6-4 early in the third.Maida, with his second of the game with three minutes remaining, gave Nelson hope for a comeback.The rally was almost complete as Justin Podgorenko had a great chance with time running out. But the skillful Podgorenko could not convert past Brandon Youngson in the Rossland/Trail nets.Joey Timmermans was in goal for Nelson.The winner of the series advances to the B.C. Tier II Peewee Rep Championships next month in the Fraser [email protected]