21 February 2006The Western Cape’s RED Door initiative for developing small business in the province has grown to 10 centres – including one mobile centre – that offer budding entrepreneurs a range of services to help them get new businesses off the ground.The Real Enterprise Development initiative, or RED Door, aims to harness the entrepreneurial drive of unemployed and self-employed South Africans. The concept is supported by international research revealing the power of the small business sector to reduce unemployment.The first RED Door offices were opened in Cape Town’s Khayelitsha and Mitchell’s Plain in November 2004. Since then, seven other RED Doors have opened across the Western Cape: in Atlantis, Beaufort West, Hermanus, Knysna, Oudtshoorn, Paarl and Vredenberg.And on 20 February, the first mobile RED Door was launched in Cape Town. The unit travels between the Bellville Interchange, Sivuyile College and the Wynberg Library, taking the RED Door’s services to people, such as those with disabilities, who don’t know about, or have difficulty reaching, the stationary offices.The provincial government plans to have 30 RED Doors across the province by 2007, for which it has budgeted in the region of R110-million. Whether or not some of these are mobile units will depend on the success of the first mobile unit, which is running as a pilot project for six months.The RED Door is a one-stop shop for new and existing businesses looking for help and advice, from the most basic to the most sophisticated.Business mentors and advisers speaking Afrikaans, English and isiXhosa offer a range of support, including help with writing a business plan, identifying weak areas in a business, accessing finance, finding accountants and lawyers, taking advantage of government incentives and tenders, improving general business skills and learning how to import and export.Going through the RED Door also means getting access to the internet, to a growing network of business service providers, and occasional use of small conference facilities.Since November 2004, the RED Door project has helped small business owners win tenders worth about R11-million.Delegates to the World Economic Forum’s Africa Economic Summit paid a visit to Khayelitsha’s RED Door in June 2005.Speaking during the visit, Haiko Alfeld, the WEF’s director for Africa, said that while small enterprises were an important driver of growth and poverty reduction in Africa, “many small businesses face serious constraints to growth, including the lack of access to capital, business skills and information, infrastructure and technology.“The RED Door concept perhaps offers a way out of this logjam,” Alfeld said. “We have heard very good news about this concept, and wanted our delegates to experience it first-hand.”SouthAfrica.info reporter
MySpace just announced that it will bring its Open Platform to Windows Mobile phones. The new MySpace mobile application for Windows Mobile will be built on top of Microsoft’s Silverlight platform. In addition, MySpace also announced its MySpace Silverlight SDK, which will make it easier for developers to build OpenSocial applications using Silverlight. MySpace also announced that LG will preload the MySpace Mobile application on the next-generation of its Windows Mobile 6.1 phones.According to Microsoft, the company will also release a kit on April 2 that will allow developers to use Visual Studio and Expression Blend to create OpenSocial-based applications.The Future of MySpace is MobileMySpace, according to its own data, currently has about 20 million worldwide mobile users, and it offers mobile applications for all the major smart phone platforms, including the iPhone, Android, Blackberry, Nokia, Palm, and Windows Mobile.We know that MySpace, which has recently been overtaken by Facebook as the leading social networking site in the U.S., considers mobile social networking applications to be the next battleground, and this is definitely one of the reasons why the company is trying to get a foothold on all the major mobile platforms now. Whether this will be enough to hold back Facebook’s current march towards dominating the social networking space remains to be seen, however. Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting Related Posts Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Tags:#Microsoft#news#web frederic lardinois
Five men have been charged with identity theft and other offenses after using 81 fraudulently obtained gift cards to go on a nearly $12,000 spending spree at the Borgata in Atlantic City earlier this year, authorities said Thursday.Security at the hotel-casino learned of possible scam on June 13 and then notified Atlantic City police. Police announced the arrests on Thursday. William Newhart, 41, of Philadelphia obtained information about a Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania resident and opened a credit card in that man’s name, authorities said. Newhart then used the credit card to buy the gift cards at Borgata and hand them out to his accomplices.The five then rang up $11,900 in charges at various eateries and shops in the Borgata, police said. All were charged with identity theft, credit card fraud, receiving stolen property and conspiracy… NJ.com- Sponsor – Stay UpdatedGet critical information for loss prevention professionals, security and retail management delivered right to your inbox. Sign up now
Sunday night, the United States women’s gymnastics team, which took home the team gold in this year’s 2016 Rio Olympic games, made an appearance at the MTV VMAs to hand out an award to Beyonce for Best Female Video. But one key member of the squad was missing.This year’s ‘Final Five’ included Simone Biles, Aly Raisman, Laurie Hernandez, Madison Kocian and Gabby Douglas. But when the team took the stage Sunday night, Douglas was not with the group.Why? According to Raisman, Douglas was in the hospital suffering from an allergic reaction. Her publicist Lesley Burbridge later added that it’s a mouth infection from a previous injury.Raisman and her teammates have been on quite a whirlwind victory tour since returning from Rio. Meeting Beyonce is likely one of the highlights.
zoom During the last year, the majority of shipping companies has been exposed to cyber attacks and has intensified the fight against cyber crime, according to a survey in Danish Shipping’s CEO Panel.The survey shows that cyber crime has become more important on the shipping companies’ agenda. Out of the 26 senior executives who took part in the survey, 42 percent indicated that they are “very worried or extremely worried that their company will be attacked or that their data will be lost in the coming 12 months.”Danish Shipping said that the concern is based on a concrete threat as around 69 percent of the companies have been subject to cyber crime over the last year, according to the responses to the panel.“Cyber threats must certainly be taken very seriously,” Maria Skipper Schwenn, Executive Director in Danish Shipping, said, adding that it is positive that 69 percent of the companies have increased their IT security budgets the past year.Skipper Schwenn informed that the cyber threat is not expected to diminish in future, adding that the attacks experienced by the shipping companies are attacks that any company is at risk of being exposed to.“Therefore, it is not the ships and the safety of the crew that is of the greatest concern but attacks on land-based systems and the consequences of these,” Skipper Schwenn said.“Consequently, we encourage all our members to take the threat seriously and we will work closely with the authorities to ensure that our members are better equipped to fight the threat. Therefore, it is also good to see that shipping companies prioritise larger budgets for IT security,” she concluded.
Alvaro Morata started his career at Chelsea in a great way but he has failed to meet the expectations recently – and he insisted that it was caused by huge injury problems that he has had with his back.The Spaniard admitted that he had to inject himself a couple of times a day just to be able to train with the team and play matches – it affected his performances strongly but the people weren’t able to see it and criticized him.The former Real Madrid player spoke about the ongoing season as he said, according to Football Espana:“This has been a very difficult year for me and it has been the same for Chelsea.”Jose Mourinho is sold on Lampard succeeding at Chelsea Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho wanted to give his two cents on Frank Lampard’s odds as the new Chelsea FC manager, he thinks he will succeed.There really…“I have had an extremely difficult year, torturous. But it started beautifully, I was scoring goals and everyone loved me, but now everything has changed.”“People talk to me on the street but they do not know what I have gone through, the only people who know are my wife and my family.”“I have wanted to keep playing, to keep scoring goals but I have not been able to and what I have experienced medically is very difficult.”“I had to go to Germany several times to receive a treatment in which they punctured me in the back and it hurt me a lot, but I had to return to training in London the next day.”
FC Porto’s teenage defender Diogo Dalot is on the verge of completing a move to Manchester United, reports the BBCDespite being only 19 years old, Dalot already has a £17.4m release clause inserted in his current deal at Porto.Jose Mourinho believes that the Portuguese defender can provide United captain Antonio Valencia with some much-needed competition.However, the Red Devils are yet to activate Dalot’s release clause but they remain confident that it will only be a matter of time before a deal is concluded after making contact with Porto.Maguire says United need to build on today’s win George Patchias – September 14, 2019 Harry Maguire wants his United teammates to build on the victory over Leicester City.During the summer, Harry Maguire was referred to as the ultimate…The Portugal Under-21 international has mainly been utilised by head coach Sérgio Conceição as a left-back for Porto since making his debut back in October.The 19-year-old also featured for the Primeira Liga champions in their goalless draw against Liverpool in the return leg of their last-16 tie in the Champions League in March, which they lost 5-0 on aggregate.With Matteo Darmian and Daley Blind almost certain to leave Old Trafford this summer, Mourinho is hoping to strengthen his defence in order to challenge Manchester City next season.Tottenham’s Belgium defender Toby Alderweireld has also been linked with a move to United.
Netherlands legend Mark van Bommel has been appointed the new manager of PSV Eindhoven on a three-year contract following Phillip Cocu’s departureThe 41-year-old is currently working as Bert van Marwijk’s assistant at Australia for the World Cup and will officially assume his new role at PSV at the end of the Socceroos’ World Cup campaign.“You cannot set the date to start a career as head coach. I think I have the experience to meet this new challenge”, Van Bommel told the club website.Report: Chong feels he is making progress at United George Patchias – September 5, 2019 Tahith Chong feels that he is making progress and moving up the ladder at Manchester United.It was reported recently here at Ronaldo.com that Chong…“We will only keep our focus on the World Cup.”Meanwhile, Cocu has since been named the new manager of Turkish side Fenerbahce after leading PSV to the Eredivisie title last season and leaves the club after five years.The Dutchman is reportedly set to bring Chelsea midfielder Marco van Ginkel with him to the Super Lig after having worked with the playmaker over the course of last season.
According to Leroy Rosenior, the fate of Mark Arnautovic would be better out of West Ham United and in a new team.Marko Arnautovic wants to leave West Ham United.He wants to go to the Chinese Super League where he would play for Shanghai SIPG.But the Hammers have not allowed this, which would be problematic according to former West Ham ace Leroy Rosenior.“This time last season I would’ve said it would be a big blow, but the way West Ham are playing at the moment, the best thing is to let him go,” Rosenior told Love Sport Radio.Report: England’s Rice gets death threats George Patchias – September 9, 2019 England International Declan Rice has received death threats.Rice a one time Ireland International, switched allegiances only this year. The West Ham United man played for…“I look at Arnautovic, and he’s just a sulker, and he’ll just beat everyone down around him.”“West Ham are playing the best football I’ve seen in a very long time,” he added.“He wants to be the main man, he thinks he’s the main man, but in all honesty, he isn’t at the moment.”“People like Declan Rice, Felipe Anderson, Mark Noble, they’re the main men at the moment,” he said.“When we lost Payet, West Ham were struggling.”