The two carbon capture-focused companies today signed a Memorandum of Understanding to collaborate on the development of facilities, which they hope will remove millions of tonnes of carbon dioxide (CO2) from the atmosphere annually.One location the partnership is considering for the for UK-based DAC plant is in North East Scotland, close to the Acorn CCS project. The proposed facility will deliver permanent CO2 removal by capture CO2 from the air and then permanently storing it below the seabed in an offshore geological storage site.Read more: Acorn CCS project progressesAlan James, Managing Director at PBDE, said, “We are delighted to be partnering with Carbon Engineering to explore the opportunities for DAC in the UK. Whilst most businesses have growing aspirations to decarbonise to make their contribution to meeting the UK’s Net Zero target, some face huge challenges due to the nature of their emissions, or the uncertain business environment for their operations during the energy transition.”“For some, installing decarbonisation technology may simply never be commercially or logistically practical. DAC will provide a mechanism for those businesses to reduce their climate impact effectively and allow others to remove from the atmosphere the emissions that they were responsible for in the past.”From its pilot facility in British Columbia, Canada, Carbon Engineering has been capturing CO2 from the atmosphere since 2015 and is now engineering its first large-scale commercial plant in the US that will capture one million tonnes of atmosphere CO2 annually – equivalent to the work of 40 million trees.Read more: Carbon Engineering expands capacity at commercial DAC plantSteve Oldham, CEO of Carbon Engineering, said, “We’ve been developing and optimising our DAC technology for more than a decade and are thrilled to now be working with Pale Blue Dot to bring this solution to the UK. This partnership with Pale Blue Dot enables the deployment of DAC projects in the UK and will help establish a UK DAC industry that will deliver significant emission reductions and help address climate change.”
Subscribe now for unlimited access Get your free guest access SIGN UP TODAY Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community
LEXINGTON, Ky. – Just as soon as Mark Stoops filled one assistant-coaching vacancy – new offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson is expected to be announced Friday – there is another opening on the University of Kentucky football staff. Safeties and special-teams coach Craig Naivar is leaving the program, a team spokesman confirmed. CatsPause.com is reporting he’ll take a job at Houston.Naivar would be following new Cougars head coach Tom Herman, with whom he worked previously at Sam Houston State, Texas State and Rice. This will be the second consecutive offseason Stoops is in the market for a safeties and special-teams coach. Bradley Dale Peveto left in February for LSU. RELATED | UK’s Neal Brown announced as Troy head coach Naivar had a tumultuous time in his lone season in Lexington. During one particularly ugly late-season stretch, the Wildcats had a rash of special-teams breakdowns, including four touchdown returns allowed in as many games. Georgia returned a kickoff and punt for touchdowns in one of Kentucky’s six consecutive losses to end the season.Kyle Tucker can be reached at (502) 582-4361. Follow him on Twitter @KyleTucker_CJ.
Related Joe Raedle/Getty Images(PORT ARTHUR, Texas) — Although Harvey’s floodwaters have begun to recede in parts of Port Arthur, Texas, Mayor Derrick Freeman told ABC News that an unknown number of residents remain stranded and some homes, including his own, are still inundated with knee-deep water.“Two nights ago, we had a lot of water. We got about 20 inches of water in about 24 hours, and it devastated our city,” Freeman said in an interview Thursday with Good Morning America co-anchor Robin Roberts. “There’s some parts that it’s receded, it’s gone down, but we still have people in 3- to 4-foot water in some homes.”In a Facebook livestream on Wednesday night, the mayor showed the 4 feet of water still inside his own home in the southeast Texas city.“We got some water, y’all. Harvey wasn’t playing,” Freeman said in the video.The mayor told ABC News that first responders and volunteer rescuers in Port Arthur will be going door to door to homes to conduct welfare checks.Days after Harvey made landfall in Texas as a Category 4 hurricane, the Beaumont-Port Arthur metropolitan area saw a record-shattering 26 or more inches of rainfall on Tuesday alone, unleashing treacherous torrents on the community, located some 85 miles east of Houston. Officials in Port Arthur were forced to evacuate a nursing home as well as the shelter at the Bob Bower Civic Center on Wednesday after the buildings began to fill with water.“It was something that we weren’t prepared for,” Freeman said in the interview on GMA. “We didn’t know that we would have to get them out of there while we were rescuing people out of 4-foot water.”Meanwhile, Motiva, the largest oil refinery in the United States, is shutting down due to the devastating floods in Port Arthur. Motiva announced in a statement early Wednesday that it began a “controlled shutdown of the Port Arthur refinery in response to increasing local flood conditions.” The refinery won’t reopen until flood waters recede, it said.A flash flood emergency for the cities of Beaumont and Port Arthur was extended until 4:30 p.m. Central Time on Wednesday. While the threat of heavy rains has ended in Houston, “catastrophic and life-threatening flooding” will continue in the Beaumont-Port Arthur area for the rest of the week, the National Weather Service said.Harvey made landfall again as a tropical storm, just west of Cameron, Louisiana, on Wednesday at 4 a.m. CT, with maximum sustained winds of 45 mph, according to the National Weather Service. The storm has led to at least 31 deaths over the past four days.The storm has weakened further, and its remnants will begin to move out of Texas and Louisiana. But it will continue to bring heavy rain and the threat of flooding to parts of the Tennessee Valley and the Ohio Valley through Friday, according to the National Weather Service.The Port Arthur mayor told ABC News that his biggest concern now is “the rebuild,” but he’s confident his city will do just that.“We’re going to bounce back,” Freeman said. “We got hit with Hurricane Ike, Hurricane Rita and Hurricane Harvey, and we’ve rebuilt every time. So we’re going to rebuild this time. We’re going to be OK.” Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMatico