Five Dead, at least 21 injured in Abaco

first_imgInitial reports have confirmed five people dead and at least twenty one injured on Abaco in the aftermath of destructive Hurricane Dorian, Prime Minister of The Bahamas, Dr. Hubert Minnis confirmed Monday, according to The Tribune. Dr. Minnis said the Royal Bahamas Police Force confirmed the tragic news of the deaths, adding that teams were set to go into Abaco as soon as possible for proper assessment and identification. The Prime Minister was unable to give details or reveal any identifying factors related to the victims. However one of the victims was identified by his grandmother Ingrid McIntosh as seven-year-old Lachino McIntosh. During a press conference at the National Emergency Management Agency, Dr Minnis said initial assessments of Abaco had shown unprecedented devastation. He said there was extraordinary flooding and damage to infrastructure. CDB to Lend US$70M to The Bahamas and Saint Lucia,… Statement by The Bahamas Prime Minister on Preparations for… Dr Minnis said recovery efforts would commence in the coming days as officials sought to help the victims. He also explained that exigency orders to cover Abaco and its cays and Grand Bahama along with Sweeting’s Cay and Deep Water Cay were signed at Cabinet the previous morning. He further informed that a hurricane relief and recovery committee was being formed and a coordinator will be chosen as soon as possible. I wish to report that the United States (Coast) Guard is already on the ground in Abaco and has rescued a number of injured individuals. Critically injured individuals are being taken to the Princess Margaret Hospital here on New Providence. Through various channels we are continuing to monitor events in Abaco and Grand Bahama as well as Bimini and the Berry Islands, which are continuing to receive tropical storm winds. And New Providence Andros and Eleuthera have been given the all clear Prime Minister Minnis said. He also urged residents of these islands to be careful and diligent as they move about as there was still flooding in a number of areas. At its maximum strength Dorian packed winds of 185mph, leaving ruin in its path. While Dorian was downgraded to a category four hurricane with winds of 150 miles per hour, it battered Grand Bahama for the better part of Monday and early this morning. Many residents on that island were trapped in their homes, either climbing into their ceilings or venturing out into the storm. Reporters on ZNS Grand Bahama, before the station went offline yesterday evening, read desperate pleas for help from many residents who were reportedly trapped on the eastern end of the island. There were calls from officials earlier in the day to people who have jet skis to go out and help with rescue efforts on the island. More at The Tribune and The Nassau Guardian Share this:PrintTwitterFacebookLinkedInLike this:Like Loading… Aug 2, 2020 Aug 1, 2020 The Bahamas bracing for hurricane conditions today Jul 31, 2020 Sep 29, 2020 Bahamians assessing the damage from Hurricane Isaias You may be interested in… Deadly Dorian Monster hurricane blamed for 5 deaths in The BahamasNASSAU, The Bahamas (CMC) — The Bahamas Government yesterday confirmed five people had been killed in the Abacos as the virtually standstill, but weakening, Hurricane Dorian continued to pound The Bahamas. Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis told a news conference that the Royal Bahamas Police Force “has confirmed that there…September 3, 2019In “Featured”Death toll climbs to seven, PM expects more(Nassau Guardian) The death toll from Hurricane Dorian climbed to seven after two of the victims airlifted from Abaco to New Providence for urgent medical attention died, and Prime Minister Dr. Hubert Minnis said he expects that number to climb even further.   “Of the 25 individuals that were transported…September 4, 2019In “Antigua & Barbuda”Sustainability, Creativity, Innovation at Core of Rebuilding Efforts in The BahamasPrime Minister of The Bahamas, the Hon. Dr. Hubert Minnis is hoping that the upcoming donor conference will attract donations to address social issues as well as specific projects in the areas of infrastructure, productive areas of the economy, and the environment. The Government of The Bahamas and the United…December 11, 2019In “CCCCC”Share this on WhatsApplast_img read more

For crying out loud

first_imgSubscribe now for unlimited access Get your free guest access  SIGN UP TODAY Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our communitylast_img read more

Festival celebrates music

first_imgCape Town Baroque Festival director Erik Dippenaar and Ralitza Macheva on baroque violin at last years festival. Now in its third year, the Cape Town Baroque Festival (CTBF) will be held from Wednesday September 18 to Tuesday September 24 at various venues. Themed “Diversity in Early Music”, the 2019 festival celebrates the variety of styles and genres of music from the Baroque period.This year’s festival will be the first time that concerts will be held in the Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa (MOCAA) at the V&A Waterfront and Youngblood Gallery in Bree Street. Also, it is the first time that a newly composed work will be performed – a reimagining of JS Bach’s Brandenburg Concerto No.3 by local composer Hans Roosenschoon.The festival’s premier concert is Big Bach Bonanza! on Friday September 20 in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Strand Street, at 8pm.It includes a variety of compositional genres that Bach used and brings together a large group of baroque specialists, directed by harpsichordist and festival director Erik Dippenaar.The concert features international soloists Erik Bosgraaf (recorder) and Raphael Pouget (natural trumpet), who will also perform in Chamber Baroque on Saturday September 21 at the Baxter Concert Hall, at 7.30pm. For the Chamber Baroque concert, Anna Stoddard will present a pre-concert talk about this unique programme of 18th century chamber music at 6.30pm in the concert hall.Another unique performance on this year’s programme is a demonstration of the carillon in the Cape Town City Hall tower by Alexios Vicatos. Three guest ensembles will present diverse programmes. The Flat Mountain Project, a team of musicians who collaborate on projects that showcase modern and experimental classical music, can be heard in Four Seasons Recomposed.The ensemble Here Be Dragons, led by instrumentalist and composer Jan-Hendrik Harley, explores folk music performed in and around the main cultural centres in Europe during the 15th and 16th century in the concert Folk101.The Lutesong Duo – Lente Louw (mezzosoprano) and Uwe Grosser (theorbo, lute, baroque guitar) – teams up with fellow musicians for Musica Rustica, a programme of light vocal music from Renaissance Italy that will be paired with Neapolitan-inspired canapés at the 6 Spin Street Restaurant.Since its inception, the CTBF has invested in upcoming local players of baroque music, and this year young recorder players and pupils from the Ronnie Samaai Music Education Project will receive master classes from Bosgraaf. For more information, visit www.ctbaroque.co.za/festival or email [email protected] Tickets can be bought through Webtickets, Pick * Pay stores or at the door.Festival passes are available at R580 each by emailing [email protected]last_img read more

Claimant lawyers hail landmark asbestos risk ruling

first_imgLord Justice Jackson at Law SocietyLord Justice Jackson said the High Court judge in Bussey v Anglia Heating Ltd had felt ‘constrained’ by relying on data that was never intended to be used as a yardstick for making claims.Guidelines produced 40 years ago about acceptable levels of asbestos fibres in the air have been used as the test for assessing the claims of victims since the ruling in Williams v the University of Birmingham in 2011.This latest ruling is being hailed by claimant lawyers as an acknowledgment the application of historic data is wrong, and that the courts have wrongly applied the measurements as a guide to employers of a so-called ‘safe’ level of asbestos in which people could work.Caroline Pinfold, an industrial disease solicitor at London firm Fieldfisher, who represented the claimant in Bussey, said: ‘These data that measured levels of asbestos fibres in the air have been wrongly applied by employers and their lawyers to deny or delay claimants the compensation they deserved. I know the ruling will come as a huge relief for mesothelioma sufferers and their families who have had their cases put on hold waiting for this decision.’‘Sadly, many others will have died in the meantime without being given funds to pursue private immunotherapy treatment that could have given them some respite.’Veronica Bussey pursued a claim for compensation against one of her husband’s former employers after he died in 2016 from cancer associated with asbestos.  Caroline PinfoldIn May last year, His Honour Judge Yelton decided he was bound by Williams, but the Court of Appeal ruling means that judgment is set aside and the case remitted for determination on the issue of liability.Lord Justice Moylan, agreeing with Jackson LJ, said there were particular concerns about the categorisation of risks.With a note that will be of interest to all litigation lawyers, he added: ‘To seek to address whether a particular risk is acceptable or unacceptable could well lead to confusion rather than assisting the court in determining the critical question of the foreseeability of the relevant risk.’ The Court of Appeal has reset the threshold for asbestos-related cases, which could pave the way for thousands of potential claims.#*#*Show Fullscreen*#*#last_img read more

Johnson reflects on mixed display

first_imgCity’s second game against Derby County in less than 24 hours ended in a defeat at the IMG Academy Field.Following the 1-0 win over the Rams in a weather-abandoned match the previous evening after Famara Diedhiou’s early goal, the re-match went the way of Philip Cocu’s side.Goals from Mason Bennett and Ikechi Anya gave Derby a two-goal lead before Saikou Janneh pulled one back for a completely changed City side to ensure the games stayed even over the two games.Head Coach Johnson said: “It’s another good run-out. There were some bits I was very pleased. In the first 30 minutes we had some great moves and should have scored a couple in that time, particularly around the far post.“In the second half I was disappointed if I’m honest with some of the applications and I expect more from some of the lads we had out there. But it is early days and it is pre-season and I have to take every single situation and use it as information and a decision-making process towards the start of the season.“What I really want is an enthusiasm to play for Bristol City and that’s the bit in pre-season that I am judging, to make sure that I am comfortable that we can trust that when we put somebody out in front of a 25,000 crowd at Ashton Gate that they are going to be absolutely committed in their body language as well as their footballing ability.”last_img read more

Penis Size Crucial in Team Selection – German Coach

first_imgA German male football team coach shocked a journalist who asked her a ‘gender-sensitive’ question when she retorted that she picked her team members based on the size of their penis.Imke Wübbenhorst, who is the first woman to coach a football club in Germany’s top five divisions gave a sarcastic response in an interview with German Newspaper, Die Welt.The Journalists had asked her if the players had to cover themselves up before she goes into their changing room, and the coach retorted – “Of course not. I’m a professional. I pick the team on penis size.”The 30-year old Wübbenhorst took over at Cloppenburg, a fifth-tier club playing in the Niedersachsenliga, in December and was tasked with steering the relegation-threatened side away from the Oberliga Niedersachsen drop zone.A former Cloppenburg player herself, the one time Germany Under-23 international had been employed in coaching roles with the club’s women’s team since hanging up her boots in 2016.RelatedFormer Falcons Player Ajuma Ottache Passes OnNovember 11, 2018In “National Team”Obi Picks Nkwocha as Best-Ever Nigerian Female Footballer (AUDIO)April 25, 2020In “Nigeria”World Cup Winner Schweinsteiger Retires, Could Join Germany SetupOctober 8, 2019In “Europe”last_img read more