AMC Theaters may not stay in business after pandemicAMC Theaters, which has its corporate headquarters at Park Place in Leawood, said in a filing on Wednesday that “substantial doubt exists about our ability to continue as a going concern for a reasonable period of time” because of the disruption caused by the coronavirus pandemic.AMC Theaters is the largest theater operator in the world. Moviegoing has ceased across the country, and all AMC theaters are closed worldwide, which means the company is “generating effectively no revenue,” the company said. It estimated that its net loss for the first quarter would be between $2.1 billion and $2.4 billion, compared to a $130.2 million loss in the same period last year.In April, AMC took on $500 million in new debt, pushing its total to $5.3 billion, which it said would allow it to withstand closures around the world into November. In its filing, it said it believed it had enough cash on hand to resume operations “this summer or later.” It cautioned that factors like not producing needed revenues even when it does open and another suspension of operations could force it to seek additional financing. [AMC warns it may not stay in business: Live updates — The New York Times]USD 232 school board talks pandemic’s impact on district goalsIn a presentation to the USD 232 school board on the district’s goals for the coming school years, Superintendent Frank Harwood said the district goals will “need to take into account” the extended school facility closure this spring as well as possible impacts to school funding brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic.Meanwhile, there may be some slight delays in construction of the new theater at Mill Valley High due to the interruption of equipment delivery, another impact of the pandemic. Harwood told the school board that administrators are monitoring the COVID-19 situation and, due to the uncertainty of state revenues, staff ultimately recommends delaying discussions about budget plans for the 2022-23 school year.Other goals laid out in the district’s plan include implementation of a multi-tiered system of supports, which will support emotional and social learning, individual plans of study and the one device per learner initiative; the district is working to meet these goals by the 2022-23 school year.Danielle Heikes, board president, thanked Harwood and staff for developing and implementing goals for the school district.“I have really seen the progress associated with these goals,” Heikes said. “This is a huge step in the right direction for USD 232.”Roeland Park approves month delay on Sunflower Medical Group office buildingThe Roeland Park City Council on Monday approved to push back the vertical construction start day on the Sunflower Medical Group development from May 25 to June 25.Sunflower Medical Group’s request to extend the vertical construction start date stemmed from sanitary sewer design changes. The city staff recommended the approval since the actual sewer line elevations differ from the developer’s original plans.The vertical construction will result in a 30,000 square-foot medical office building to the northeast corner of Roe Boulevard and Johnson Drive. The extension of the start date also extends the completion date to June 25, 2021, because the developer has one year from the start date to finish the project.The city council approved the extension unanimously, and Councilmember Trisha Brauer was absent.
Matt Sully (NEW YORK) — A concerned cyclist took a pit stop during his ride through Adelaide, Australia, to help out a thirsty koala. Matt Sully posted a video on Facebook, where he is seen squirting some water on the ground near the lethargic looking marsupial before allowing it to drink straight from his water bottle. “This little guy called ‘Slurpy’ was so thirsty he emptied my entire bottle,” Sully wrote in the post.Sully said the temperature was “like a furnace” during his ride last Thursday and he’d never experienced heat like that. He rode with Bubba’s Cycling Tours and said it was a “great experience” and was glad they were “in the right place at the right time” to help out the animal.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMatico Related
His straight out fighting style poses danger for the 36-year-old Donaire.But then again, Donaire scored his biggest KO wins against explosive, attacking fighters like Vic Darchinyan, Jorge Arce and Fernando Montiel.“I have been watching Donaire throughout his career and was stealing his moves when I was starting out in boxing. I have a lot of respect for Donaire,” said Inoue. “I have idolized him and that’s why he was the one I wanted to fight the most in this tournament. But now it’s time for a change of generations.”However, through the years Donaire has developed the bad habit of chasing KO wins with minimum punch possible as opposed to slow, crafty set-up that made him very successful in the past.“This final will be the biggest highlight of my career thus far,” the Japanese said. “It will also be like a crossroad fight for what lies ahead for my future. I’m just looking forward to seeing what is waiting ahead in my career after winning the Ali Trophy.”ADVERTISEMENT Lava gushes out of Taal Volcano as villagers flee Inoue was aptly dubbed the “Monster” having won all 18 professional fights, including 16 via knockouts.He blasted through the WBSS quarterfinal and semifinal needing just five minutes and 29 seconds of total ring appearance.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSAndray Blatche has high praise for teammate Kai SottoSPORTSBig differenceSPORTSAlmazan status stays uncertain ahead of Game 4“No I never imagined it,” said Inoue when asked if he expected to finish off former champ Juan Carlos Payano in 70 seconds in the quarters, before stopping Emmanuel Rodriguez in two rounds in the semis.“I’m prepared to fight for 12 rounds with Nonito Donaire, but if I see an opening, I will aim for a knockout.” Japan’s Naoya Inoue celebrates his win over Juan Carlos Payano of Dominican Republic after their WBA world bantamweight title match in Yokohama, Kanagawa prefecture on October 7, 2018. (Photo by JIJI PRESS / JIJI PRESS / AFP) / Japan OUTYoung Japanese champion Naoya Inoue is eyeing a knockout win against Filipino star Nonito Donaire when they clash for the Muhammad Ali trophy in next week’s World Boxing Super Series bantamweight title.And based on his credentials, the 26-year-old Inoue has got everything to back up his claims.ADVERTISEMENT Phivolcs: Cloud seeding in ashfall affected areas needs study Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles03:30PH’s Rogen Ladon boxing flyweight final (HIGHLIGHTS)03:34PH’s Carlo Paalam boxing light flyweight final (HIGHLIGHTS)01:04Daybreak as smoke, ash billows from Taal volcano01:05Poor visibility, nakaapekto sa maraming lugar sa Batangas03:028,000 pulis sa Region 4-A, tuloy ang trabaho03:57Phivolcs, nahihirapan sa komunikasyon sa Taal01:04Sold-out: Stores run out of face masks after Taal spews ash01:45Iran police shoot at those protesting plane shootdown 400 evacuees from Taal eruption take refuge in Mt. Banahaw Robert Bolick undergoes surgery to repair torn ACL MOST READ ‘Gago’ No need to wear face masks in Metro Manila, says scientist LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments 2 village execs nabbed in Bohol buy-bust That’s also what the fight means for Donaire who is trying to resurrect his career that dipped substantially since he won Fighter of the Year award in 2012.They fight Nov. 7 at Saitama Super Arena in Japan.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next DSWD Bicol donates P1.5M worth of food packs for Taal eruption evacuees ‘People evacuated on their own’