China’s H7N9 total grew by 22 cases last week, 3 deathsHong Kong’s Centre for Health Protection (CHP) in a regular update today said the mainland from Mar 3 to Mar 9 reported 22 more H7N9 avian influenza cases, 3 of them fatal. The pace of infections in China’s fifth and biggest wave has slowed some since illnesses peaked in February, but the country continues to report a steady stream of cases.Illness onsets for patients in the latest cases range from Feb 19 to Mar 4. The people are from nine provinces, with almost half reported in Henan, Jiangxi, Guangxi, and Sichuan. Eighteen have a history of exposure to poultry or poultry markets.Results from environmental sampling at 98 Guangdong province poultry markets from Feb 27 to Mar 5 found that 8.3% of 989 isolates were positive for H7 avian flu.China as now reported at least 494 cases in the fifth wave, and Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Macao have also reported H7N9 infections from the mainland.Mar 10 CHP report Poland, Romania, Slovakia report more H5N8 avian flu outbreaksThree countries in Europe—Poland, Romania, and Slovakia—reported more highly pathogenic H5N8 outbreaks in poultry and wild birds, according to the latest updates from the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE).Poland reported two poultry outbreaks on farms in Wielkopolska province in the west central part of the country. The events began on Mar 6 and Mar 8, and the virus killed 1,504 of 19,748 susceptible birds.In Romania, officials reported four more outbreaks, three in wild birds and one in backyard poultry, affecting Bucharest, the country’s capital, and two other provinces. The poultry outbreak began on Mar 8 in Teleorman county, killing 141 of 155 birds.In two separate reports, Slovakia noted two more H5N8 outbreaks, one in wild birds and the other involving backyard poultry. The wild bird outbreak involved a greylag goose found dead in a pond in Trnava region in the west on Feb 28. The poultry outbreak began on Mar 6 at a holding in Nitra region in west central Slovakia, killing 11 of 51 birds.Mar 10 OIE report on H5N8 in Poland Mar 10 OIE report on H5N8 in Romania Mar 10 OIE report on H5N8 in Slovakian wild birds Mar 10 OIE report on H5N8 in Slovakian poultry WHO notes Lassa fever cases in Benin, Togo, Burkina FasoThe World Health Organization (WHO) today said three African nations—Benin, Togo, and Burkina Faso—have reported recent cases of Lassa fever that could foretell more outbreaks in the region.Though Lassa fever is both seasonal and endemic in the region, these cases have occurred in regions with highly mobile populations. On Feb 11, a pregnant mother tested positive for Lassa in Benin, and subsequently her baby tested positive for the viral hemorrhagic fever in Togo. The mother died the day after a cesarean, but the baby remains in stable condition. Sixty-eight contacts in Benin and 29 contacts in Togo have been linked to these cases.On Feb 26, the Ministry of Health of Burkina Faso notified the WHO of a Lassa case in north Togo. The case, involving another pregnant woman, originated in Burkina Faso. She died after miscarrying on Mar 3. Contact tracing is ongoing, but at least 7 contacts in Togo and 135 in Burkina Faso have been found.Finally on Mar 2, a man in Togo was admitted to a hospital where he tested positive for Lassa fever. The man and his relatives are being treated and surveyed at home, and a total of 18 contacts have been identified.Lassa fever is spread to humans via infected rodents. It is endemic to Nigeria and some parts of West Africa.Mar 10 WHO update
To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Get instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270. Subscribe
Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN Subscribe now for unlimited access Get your free guest access SIGN UP TODAY Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community
Morton, pictured, has served in the Controller General’s Office since 1988. He is a graduate of the University of Delaware with a degree in economics and a master’s degree in public administration.”Mr Morton brings a wealth of knowledge and experience in state financial policies, procedures and strategy formulation that will be of invaluable assistance to the port in our role as an economic engine for the State of Delaware,” said Gene Bailey, executive director of the DSPC.The Port of Wilmington is a full service mid-Atlantic seaport at the confluence of the Christina and Delaware rivers.www.portofwilmington.com
Please see the Gazette’s dedicated coronavirus page here >> Find advice and updates here. The managing director of a criminal defence firm says he is enraged that he is having to chase HM Courts & Tribunals Service for a court risk assessment so he can decide whether or not it is safe to send out his staff.Michael Gray, who runs Chester firm Gray & Co Solicitors, has not sent any staff to court since lockdown restrictions were introduced in March. Over the past couple of weeks he says he has repeatedly asked to see HMCTS’s risk assessment for Warrington Magistrates’ Court – the only one of three courts operating in his area.Gray told the Gazette: ‘I am concerned that the local risk assessments have not been provided to me and other solicitors in advance of the decision of HMCTS to require defendants on bail to attend at court. In my opinion, the decision to increase the work in the court estate is premature and HMCTS is taking an unnecessary risk. Michael Gray‘There have been examples of good safety measures being put in place, for example video technology being used in overnight remand cases, but the court cannot operate in this way exclusively and they are now under pressure to push though more volume by requiring more people to attend in person.’Gray is also losing income by not sending solicitors to court. ‘That’s why I’m enraged – I’m at my wit’s end,’ he said.HMCTS states in an organisational risk assessment document on 15 May that it constantly monitors the arrangements in its buildings, using a local assessment tool.On 25 May, Gray emailed HMCTS with 11 questions. These include where the defendants see their solicitors in the court, what measures are in place to ensure social distancing, and what facilities are in place for social distancing in the cells.A letter sent on behalf of the Criminal Law Solicitors Association to HMCTS chief executive Susan Acland-Hood on Sunday states that ‘some of our member solicitors have requested copies of the local assessements and they have not been forthcoming. This essentially means that employers are unable to fulfil their own obligations under sections two and three of the Health and Safety at Work Act and subordinate legislation. We are concerned that the court estate is being opened to the public and profession court users alike, without these assessments being made available’.Yesterday, HMCTS announced that 16 more courts were reopening this week after they were assessed to be suitable for holding socially-distanced hearings.Law Society president Simon Davis said: ‘Where appropriate steps are taken to ensure good hygiene, appropriate distancing, and compliance with all other relevant guidance to minimise risk, courts should be safe to attend. This will be evident via the individual risk assessments for each site – which should be made available on request.’We would be concerned if people were being asked to attend court before an assessment has been supplied. Where a court is failing to do so, this should be raised with HMCTS at the earliest opportunity.’The Ministry of Justice has been approached for comment.Update (1:30pm): Michael Gray received the risk assessment for Warrington Magistrates’ Court.Update (6.45pm): A HMCTS spokesperson said: ‘Warrington Magistrates’ Court was deemed safe after thorough checks and we have issued copies of the risk assessment to those who have requested it.’ *The Law Society is keeping the coronavirus situation under review and monitoring the advice it receives from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office and Public Health England.
GERMANY: Bombardier Transportation inaugurated a new final assembly hall at its Bautzen plant in Sachsen on June 15.Built at a cost of €8m as part of a €30m investment in the site, the hall has a production area of 8 100 m2, with the capacity to assemble and fit out up to 600 inter-city, regional, suburban, metro or light rail vehicles a year. Around 500 employees will work in the facility, and Bombardier expects its opening to reduce logistics, energy and maintenance costs by €1m/year. ‘Today is a good day for Bautzen and Oberlausitz’, said Sachsen Minister-President Michael Kretschmer. ‘The investment now planned will secure 1 000 jobs here at Bombardier, and many more for the suppliers in the region. I am grateful to the company for its clear commitment. We have been through some difficult negotiations and some very uncertain times. I am very grateful to all those who supported the retention of the plants in both Bautzen and Görlitz. Now, the focus is on creating favourable prospects for the Görlitz plant as well, because the potential that exists there is not yet exhausted.’
Share LIAT’s ATR 72-600 made its inaugural flight here on Wednesday morning. Photo compliments: Chemizt Online ServicesTourism Minister, Ian Douglas has welcomed LIAT’s newest aircraft, the ATR 72-600, which made an inaugural call to Dominica on Wednesday, 26th June at the Melville Hall Airport.“We certainly welcome the inaugural flight of the new equipment by LIAT,” Mr Douglas told Dominica Vibes on Wednesday, 26th June.Mr Douglas said the additional aircraft could help address the issue of air access into the island.“One of the challenges that we have had, not only in tourism but generally, has always been getting people into Dominica on the same day of their flight. We want to get them here all in one day and the sleep over in Antigua and so on especially for divers has always been problematic”, he said. Tourism Minister, Ian DouglasAccording to Mr Douglas, Dominica’s decision to become a shareholder of LIAT in 2012 was a step in the right direction. “That’s why we invested in LIAT so that we could have a seat at the table, we could influence the decisions, where they fly to and fly out of. I think we are on the right track”. The introduction of these brand new ATR – 600s in LIAT’s current fleet of 14 aircraft is a part of the airline’s restructuring plans aiming at fleet modernization and network improvements.Dominica Vibes News Share LocalNews Tourism Minister welcomes new aircraft by: – June 26, 2013 Tweet Share 17 Views no discussions Sharing is caring!
IEEE and the IEEE Standards Association (IEEE SA) have stated that the new IEEE P802.11ax standard meets or exceeds requirements specified by the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) for the 5G Indoor Hotspot and Dense Urban test environments of the enhanced Mobile Broadband (eMBB) usage scenario. The standard establishes a foundation for an advanced Wi-Fi technology capable of supporting 5G network performance.Successful evaluation of the standard demonstrates the ongoing evolution of IEEE 802.11 to meet wireless capacity demands being driven by remote video streaming, cloud access, and an increasingly connected mobile world.According to Dorothy Stanley, the IEEE 802.11 Working Group chair, achieving 5G performance at the cost points associated with Wi-Fi supports the continued advancement of wireless technology, as well as the exponential growth of mobile wireless device utilization. The successful evaluation of IEEE P802.11ax meets the ever-increasing needs of wireless communication, providing higher data rates, increased reliability, and lower latency to better serve the entire industry.The methodology specified in the IMT-2020 requirements provides network descriptions, channel models, traffic patterns and other parameters necessary to benchmark performance. The benchmark for compliance to the IMT-2020 requirements for the specific scenario and environments consists of:Minimum acceptable downlink/uplink peak performance,Average user experience,Cell-edge user experience,Mobility performance and latency performance.The IEEE P802.11ax standard satisfies all the Medium Access Control and Physical Layer (MAC/PHY) requirements for Indoor Hotspot and Dense Urban test environments of the eMBB usage scenario. Products implementing the standard are available today and can provide 5G connectivity, helping to speed the deployment of networks which deliver 5G performance and increasing the availability of 5G wireless access for users. Supporting documentation for IEEE P802.11ax meeting the IMT-2020 requirements for eMBB is available for public download.The draft standard is available for purchase at the IEEE Standard Store.The IEEE Standards Association, a globally recognized standards-setting body within IEEE, develops consensus standards through an open process that engages industry and brings together a broad stakeholder community. It sets specifications and best practices based on current scientific and technological knowledge. It has a portfolio of over 1,100 active standards and more than 800 standards under development.
While it may not seem like it with snow on the ground, Indians season and games at Progressive Field are right around the corner.Today the Tribe announced that single-game tickets will go on sale to the public on Monday, February 29th, at 10:00 A.M.The home opener for the Indians is Monday, April 4th against the Boston Red Sox. “We always want to provide the best experience possible for our fans, and last year’s public ticket on-sale fell short of that goal,” said Indians Senior VP of Public Affairs Bob DiBiasio. “After listening to fans’ feedback, we enacted a new approach to ensure more tickets are available for the general public on-sale.”If you’re interested in tickets, check out Indians.com at 10:00 A.M. to seats for all 81 home games. Matt Loede Matt Loede has been a part of the Cleveland Sports Media for over 21 years, with experience covering Major League Baseball, National Basketball Association, the National Football League and even high school and college events. He has been a part of the Cleveland Indians coverage since the opening of Jacobs/Progressive Field in 1994, and spent two and a half years covering the team for 92.3 The Fan, and covers them daily for Associated Press Radio. You can follow Matt on Twitter HERE. Related TopicsIndiansProgressive Field