hzfyeohg

News Scan for Nov 02, 2015

Posted on

first_imgSaudi Arabia reports 1 new MERS case, 1 deathAfter a weekend with no MERS-CoV cases, Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Health (MOH) reported a new case today away from recent hot spots and yesterday reported the death of a previously confirmed patient.The new MERS-CoV (Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus) case is in Afif, a city of about 40,000 roughly halfway between Riyadh, which has seen many recent cases, and Mecca. It involves a 50-year-old Saudi woman who is hospitalized in critical condition and is not a healthcare worker (HCW). She did not contract the disease from a known case, the MOH said.The agency also said today that a 24-year-old female HCW in Riyadh has recovered from MERS. She had no preexisting disease.Yesterday the MOH confirmed that a 37-year-old Saudi man in Hofuf with preexisting illness died from MERS-CoV.  He was not an HCW. That city has also reported multiple recent cases.The country has now confirmed 1,274 MERS cases since the outbreak began in 2012, including 544 deaths.Nov 2 MOH update Nov 1 MOH update Chipotle-linked E coli outbreak sickens 22 in 2 statesState health officials in Washington and Oregon are investigating an Escherichia coli outbreak linked to eating at Chipotle restaurants that has sickened 22 people so far, 19 in Washington and 3 in Oregon. The company has voluntarily closed its 43 restaurants in the two states during the investigation, the Seattle Times reported yesterday.The Washington State Department of Health (WSDOH) said in an Oct 31 statement that 8 patients have been hospitalized, 7 in Washington and 1 in Oregon. Washington’s cases are from four different counties in the western third of the state: King, Clark, Cowlitz, and Skagit.Oregon’s affected counties are Clackamas and Washington, both in the far northwestern part of the state, according to an Oct 31 statement from the Oregon Health Authority (OHA). Patient ages range from 11 to 64 years old, the OHA said.The WSDOH is asking people who got sick after eating at a Chipotle restaurant in the past 3 weeks to contact their health providers, and OHA asked people who got sick between Oct 14 and Oct 23 after eating at the restaurants to see their doctors and mention the outbreak.Though the event appears to be linked to food served at Chipotle restaurants, so far the food or other contamination source hasn’t been identified. The WSDOH said local and state health officials are investigating the outbreak, along with the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration.The event is the second recent foodborne illness outbreak linked to Chipotle restaurants. In September the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) linked 64 Salmonella Newport infections to 22 restaurants. Tomatoes were identified as the outbreak source.Nov 1 Times story Oct 31 WSDOH statement Oct 31 OHA statement Sep 16 MDH news release Cholera cases top 2,000 in Iraq as WHO mobilizes vaccine effortsCholera cases in Iraq have topped 2,000 as the World Health Organization (WHO) ramps up an immunization campaign, the agency said in a news release yesterday.About 250,000 displaced people in 62 refugee camps will be targeted during the oral cholera vaccine campaign. The WHO has mobilized 510,000 doses of the vaccine, which will start to be administered this week. People need to receive two doses each for optimal effect.The outbreak has now reached 2,173 lab-confirmed cases have been reported in 15 of the country’s 19 governorates, up from 1,811 on Oct 20, the WHO said. Two people have died from the disease. Cases are dwindling, though, the agency said, especially in the north.Nov 1 WHO news releaselast_img read more

NNSA Administrator Dedicates And Breaks Ground On New LLNL Facilities To Support National Security Missions

Posted on

first_imgNNSA Administrator Lisa E. Gordon-HagertyNNSA News:LIVERMORE, Calif. — With a turn of a shovel and snip of some scissors, National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Administrator and Department of Energy Under Secretary for Nuclear Security Lisa E. Gordon-Hagerty helped announce Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory’s (LLNL) infrastructure improvements in support of its national security missions. She broke ground Tuesday on what will be a state-of-the-art Emergency Operations Center (EOC); assisted in the dedication of the first completed facility in LLNL’s new Applied Materials and Engineering (AME) campus; and recognized the completion of a line item construction project, the Expand Electrical Distribution System (EEDS).“Our world class workforce requires state-of-the-art facilities not only for mission success, but because our people are our number one asset and they deserve modern infrastructure for their safety and convenience,” Administrator Gordon-Hagerty said.With the current EOC no longer meeting the needs of a modern-day emergency center, the new Center will provide 24-hour operations when an emergency occurs. The facility will also provide survivability from earthquakes; better accessibility to response staff during an emergency; and self-sustainability for up to 72 hours without a resupply of fuel, food, or water. City, county, state, and federal emergency personnel also will have access to the new facility.“The new EOC will consolidate emergency operations management, fire alarm monitoring, communications, and response technical support into one location to streamline emergency management at LLNL,” Administrator Gordon-Hagerty said.Prior to the groundbreaking, Gordon-Hagerty explained how this EOC is part of NNSA’s pilot program to streamline delivery of commercial-like construction projects. The pilot is based on existing, successful minor construction program management processes and widely-used commercial construction practices to accelerate the delivery of smaller-scope, lower-risk projects. This delivery approach will save taxpayers money while maintaining quality by managing the key risks consistent with the complexity of the project. The Administrator noted how the NNSA and the Nuclear Posture Review have identified a need to recapitalize much of the Nuclear Security Enterprise – the EOC and other emergency operations facilities across the Enterprise are part of the pilot program.Construction is scheduled for completion by November 2022, with project completion set for April 2023.Applied Materials & Engineering CampusThe groundbreaking was just one of the highlights of a daylong visit from the Administrator. She also dedicated the first facility at LLNL’s new AME campus. A collection of three buildings, the campus will house science, technology, and engineering capabilities critical to stockpile modernization.The AME area plan, a new and novel infrastructure modernization approach created by NNSA and LLNL, results in efficiencies and affinities through a combination of facility upgrades and repurposing, capability consolidation, and new construction to sustain a core of science, technology and engineering competency while reducing footprint.The campus will feature a polymers lab, 3D printing, advanced manufacturing, brazing and welding, along with office space and other capabilities. The first of these buildings, the polymers lab, was completed in July.“One of my key priorities has been recapitalizing and modernizing NNSA’s infrastructure, some of which dates back to World War II,” Administrator Gordon-Hagerty said. “As evidenced by delivery of this campus, we have an excellent example for rapid infrastructure recapitalization. I appreciate and admire the close partnership between the NNSA organizations, Lawrence Livermore, and private industry.”Expand Electrical Distribution System ProjectThe Administrator also recognized the completion of a line item construction project, which is the first at this site in over a decade, called the Expand Electrical Distribution System. The $33.8 million project was completed ahead of schedule and $1.1 million under budget.“This project is one of the critical milestones for the NNSA’s Strategic Integrated Roadmap, which has a goal to modernize utilities across all sites by 2038. I’m also proud of the continued track record of excellence in NNSA and laboratory project management, as this project has come in under budget and ahead of time,” said Administrator Gordon-Hagerty.The project expands and supplements the existing electrical distribution along the east side of the Lab, provides a new electrical connection to the Sandia-California site, increases electrical reliability, provides redundant power to the Lab, and provides infrastructure needed to meet future mission needs.last_img read more

Renzo Piano designs for Central St Giles unveiled

Posted on

first_imgThe 500,000 sq ft mixed-use scheme, which is being developed by Legal & General and the Mitsubishi Estate Company, comprises 393,000 sq ft of offices, 109 apartments in two residential towers,50% of which will be affordable, ground floor retail space and two public squares. Overall the scheme will consist of three buildings with 13 irregularly orientated, individually coloured ceramic & glass facades while 27% of the site’s area is dedicated to open space .The scheme on the 1.75 acre island site will see the redevelopment of a 1960’s office block previously occupied by the Ministry of Defence. Piano said: ‘The architectural challenge was to create a development that brings heart and soul into a forgotten part of Central London’s urban fabric. A place that, by adding levitated, articulated and colourful buildings, physically expresses the people-focused and socially responsible credentials of modern corporate tenants.’It is due for completion by the end of 2009. Stanhope is development managers. Jones Lang LaSalle and Cushman & Wakefield are joint letting agents.last_img read more

Toots And The Maytals

Posted on

first_img Share Toots and The Maytals took the stage at the Stephen Talkhouse in Amagansett on Friday, July 27.last_img

DeepOcean lays keel for new cable layer

Posted on

first_imgDeepOcean UK, a subsidiary of DeepOcean Group Holding BV, has announced the symbolic keel laying ceremony has taken place in Galati, officially launching the construction phase of its new cable lay vessel.DeepOcean says that the vessel, yet to be named, will be taken on a long term charter from Maersk, and will extend DeepOcean’s capabilities in the larger cable laying end of the market, representing a new focus on interconnector projects, in addition to the oil and gas and renewables sectors.On Wednesday November 12, a key milestone was achieved in the progress of the project, when the formal keel laying ceremony took place in the Damen shipyard in Galati, Romania. In keeping with shipbuilding tradition, a commemorative plaque incorporating 3 special coins was welded to a corridor section of building block number 116, DeepOcean said.“The vessel is designed to meet the high standards demanded by North Sea Oil and Gas customers.”The ceremony was attended by the shipyard workforce attached to the project, alongside representatives from Damen, Maersk, DeepOcean and Lloyds Register of Shipping, who certified the milestone achievement.Tony Inglis, DeepOcean UK managing director, said: “This next generation cable lay vessel in combination with our survey and trenching capabilities will enable us to bundle our services for customers in the offshore power cable and umbilical markets. The versatile new vessel will be well suited for installation and burial projects using its 7,000 tonne carousel from land-fall to deepwater and also in remote geographical locations.“The vessel is designed to meet the high standards demanded by North Sea Oil and Gas customers. We are delighted to be working with Maersk Supply Service and Damen to bring this high capability vessel to the market.”Image: Damen[mappress mapid=”602″]last_img read more

Wood Group Nets Ca Rong Do Subsea FEED

Posted on

first_imgWood Group has been awarded the front end engineering and design (FEED) contract for the subsea development of the Talisman Energy Ca Rong Do field offshore Vietnam; estimated to contain around 67 million barrels of oil equivalent.Wood Group Kenny (WGK) will carry out comprehensive flow assurance studies and full FEED engineering of the subsea system and  structures, risers, flowlines, and power and control umbilicals. The work on the subsea FEED will be carried out from WGK’s Kuala Lumpur office and supported by other WGK Asia Pacific offices.This follows the award of the top tensioned riser (TTR) FEED contract for design of the dry tree production/injection and  drilling riser systems. The WGK Houston office will carry out the engineering for the tension leg wellhead platform (TLWP) supported riser systems, the company informed.Bob MacDonald, CEO of Wood Group Kenny said: “Winning both of these contracts underlines our position as the international experts in FEED, particularly in riser and subsea specialties. We are leveraging our global network of engineers to deliver the most effective solutions for the Ca Rong Do development.“These contracts also continue Wood Group’s strong relationship with Talisman Energy which spans continents; from this key greenfield project in Vietnam, to operations and maintenance on UK North Sea assets.”[mappress mapid=”12140″]last_img read more

Blue Water wins yard stay project

Posted on

first_imgBlue Water will be responsible for all transport-related assignments, warehousing and quayside crane operations. The project will involve many of the company’s worldwide offices to arrange a large number of time-sensitive shipments by both air and sea.Blue Water has provided transport and logistics services in connection with yard stays for several other Maersk Drilling rigs before.Thomas Bek, global head of oil, gas and industrial projects at Blue Water, said that the company’s previous experience was important when it comes to complex projects like this. “When coordinating the transports of spare parts and other services in connection with yard stays for these rigs, there is no room for error,” he said.  www.bws.dklast_img read more

ALE completes load out in Mexico

Posted on

first_imgAfter raising the topside to a height of 14 m, ALE utilised strand jacks and kicker jacks to move the structure 196.6 m in preparation for the load out onto the client’s barge.ALE’s offshore services team designed and supplied a ballasting system to support the load-out operation.According to ALE, the Mega Jack system can be assembled quickly and has a high jacking speed; it claims the equipment is more efficient than other systems on the market.www.ale-heavylift.comlast_img

MoJ: tell us what you think of the Legal Ombudsman

Posted on

first_imgThe government has asked for views on the performance of the Legal Services Board and Office for Legal Complaints.The Ministry of Justice today opened a consultation seeking opinions on how the oversight regulator and legal complaints-handler measure up.The consultation is part of a statutory requirement to review all arm’s-length bodies at least once in each parliament.Each review must examine whether there is a continuing need for the function and form of each organisation.If either should be retained, the reviews look further at how they can become more efficient and effective, and will analyse their performance.The review will be carried out by MoJ officials and is expected to take four months, with the call for evidence closing on 24 November.In the last review of the bodies in 2012, 34 responses were received from regulators, academics, ombudsmen and individuals.Then, the government gave each body a positive rating for their assessments and said they should be congratulated for how they had met regulatory requirements since they were each formed, having been a product of the 2007 Legal Services Act.Since that date, the LSB has led discussions about whether it should have a long-term future – even suggesting its own dissolution in favour of a single legal services regulator.The Office for Legal Complaints, including the Legal Ombudsman, has endured a leadership crisis, with the resignation of its former chief executive and an overhaul of its management roles.last_img read more

Still no access to Pilbara ore lines

Posted on

first_imgDESPITE A draft recommendation in March from the National Competition Commission that railways owned by Rio Tinto and BHP Billiton should be made available for use by other train operators, Australia’s federal Treasurer Peter Costello decided in May not to grant access to BHP’s 295 km Mount Newman line.The applicant is Fortescue Metals Group, which wants to exploit the Mindy Mindy ore body lying within 17 km of BHP’s line to Port Hedland. Unsurprisingly, the NCC determined that it would be more efficient for BHP to share the railway rather than force FMG to build a parallel route.Costello’s stance was passive rather than active. Under the Trade Practices Act, he had 60 days to endorse the NCC recommendation. He failed to do so, and thus the status quo applied. Costello refused to comment further because the issue ‘may be subject to further review processes’.Fortescue had intended to build a branch to the mine and use its own locos and wagons to haul the ore to Port Hedland. BHP said it would be willing to contract to haul the ore for its smaller competitors, but Fortescue spokesman Julian Tapp said BHP had ‘made it abundantly clear that their port facilities are not available, and the access regime as I understand it does not cover the port.’Meanwhile, in a booming market Fortescue now plans to build its own railway and ship loading plant at Port Hedland to serve much larger iron ore bodies at Cloud Break and Christmas Creek in the Chichester Ranges – and to recoup some of the investment by sharing it with other ‘junior’ mining companies.last_img read more