ectywqfw

Freeze tells ESPN he still talks to MSU’s Chris Jones

Posted on

first_imgMississippi coach Hugh Freeze speaks to the media at the SEC Media Days Thursday in Hoover, Alabama.Mississippi coach Hugh Freeze speaks to the media at the SEC Media Days Thursday in Hoover, Alabama.OXFORD – Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze said during his run through ESPN’s annual “Car Wash,” which brings all 14 Southeastern Conference coaches to its Bristol, Connecticut studios, that Chris Jones was the recruit that got away.That’s not really a surprise, considering Jones was a five-star, in-state prospect. Ole Miss also made a hard last-second charge to try to pry Jones away from Mississippi State, which resulted in one of the more dramatic recruiting finishes the state has seen in a very long time. But what may shock some is that Freeze apparently still talks to MSU’s defensive tackle. Freeze told ESPN’s Joe Schad that the two still chat “on the phone about life.” It wasn’t Freeze’s only interesting comments from Monday. He told ESPN’s Brett McMurphy that he’d be in favor of getting rid of National Signing Day completely. Instead, Freeze says he’d prefer if a prospect could sign letters of intent right when they committed. It certainly could have helped the Rebels last year. Four-star linebacker Leo Lewis and offensive tackle Drew Richmond both backed out of their commitment to Ole Miss just days before they could officially put pen to paper. Here are some of the other more interesting tidbits from Freeze during his time running around the hallways at ESPN: Hugh Freeze said four juniors have school-paid insurance policies worth up to $7.5 million— Joe Schad (@schadjoe) July 20, 2015 Hugh Freeze if he could change @CFBPlayoff: “Let’s only play 11 games, no league title game %26 have 8 playoff teams”— Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN) July 20, 2015 Hugh Freeze said new Mizzou DC Barry Odom and TCUs Gary Patterson playcallers he respects most. Instincts for right calls at right time.— Joe Schad (@schadjoe) July 20, 2015center_img Hugh Freeze said he would start all 3 Ohio St QBs on first snap of 1st gm and play each for a quarter— Joe Schad (@schadjoe) July 20, 2015last_img read more

PNG Men’s Basketball League commissioner’s position up for grabs

Posted on

first_imgBasketball The PNG Premier Men’s Basketball League is set to start its 2019 season next month, according to the PMBL acting chairman Alain Boussoungou. Boussoungou said yesterday that it was proper that PMBL start its season early to help prepare the national team for the upcoming Pacific Games in July. Since the inception of PMBL, an elite men’s basketball competition in Port Moresby, the new board headed by Boussoungou is confident to lift the competition to the next level. Boussoungou said prudent management was important to the league setting a standard that is pushing the game of basketball to the next level in the country. “PMBL will always set the precedence and the benchmark for the country. “However, we are now in the initial stage to make this competition a national competition where other centers can also participate,” Boussoungou said. He said with the competition now planning to start early, they are now looking for potential candidates for the commissioner’s position that is left vacant. “The commissioner’s role is to ensure the competition is run and making sure that all participating clubs adhere to the competitions bylaws and constitutions. The Commissioner is also responsible for the set up of draws and all technical aspects of the game as well.” Boussoungou said interested applicants for the Commissioner’s role should start sending in their expression of interest to the league’s secretary Kevin Teme on temekevin@gmail.com or can contact him on Alain.Boussoungou@pcspng.co or PMBL’s treasurer Boy at the Moni Plus head office at Waigani. “We have an exciting season this year and we urge all the participating clubs to start preparing their teams and players for the competition that will kick next month. We are also calling out to interested teams from the Filipino Basketball Association to also nominate a team or two for the challenge,” Boussoungou said. Boussoungou said the commissioner’s position had to put up as the previous commissioner is being released on medical grounds. “It’s good for the competition to allow FILBA teams to come in and be part of this exciting competition. In 2017, we had two teams from FILBA which is 2K Tigers and Emparado taking part and it made the competition tough. It will be good to have few of those teams to be part of PMBL this year,” Boussoungou said. Boussoungou said PMBL is still in negotiations with National Sports Trust Limited to have Sir John Guise Stadium as the home of basketball. “ Hopefully, we can lock in Sir John Guise Stadium for all our basketball games this year and certainly it is exciting time ahead for basketball in the country,” the acting Chairman said.last_img read more

No Sports Illustrated jinx for Anthony Davis

Posted on

first_imgSports Illustrated’s national cover this week features University of Kentucky one-and-done and former No. 1 draft pick Anthony Davis, his first time on the front of the magazine since the Wildcats’ 2012 national championship victory.After SI unveiled its cover on Tuesday — the headline reads, “Time To Really Fear The Brow” — Davis posted numbers for the New Orleans Pelicans in a 112-104 win over the Oklahoma City Thunder that the NBA hasn’t seen since Hakeem Olajuwon.So yes, the jinx is off.Per ESPN stats and info, Davis’ ninth game this season with 25 points and 10 rebounds leads the league. But it’s the six steals and four blocks Tuesday night that stick out. Only two players have done that in 25 years – Gerald Wallace last December and Olajuwon five times.Kentucky’s favorite word: Kentucky, according to Match.com dating profilesAll this from a player who had one scholarship offer after his junior season of high school and told SI’s Lee Jenkins he planned to attend Cleveland State and “then go to the D-League or overseas.” Of course, we know what happened next.“It makes you smile to see yourself becoming the player you want to be,” Davis told SI. “When people talk about the greatest ever, I want to be in that conversation. I’m nowhere close to it. No…where…close…But it’s where I want to go.”Jonathan Lintner can be reached at (502) 582-4199. Follow him on Twitter @JonathanLintner.last_img read more

Red Cross statement on 2019 Novel Coronavirus

Posted on

first_imgNASHVILLE, TN (WLAF) -February 28, 2020 – The American Red Cross is closely monitoring the evolving outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019, COVID-19.We are currently supporting government agencies and state officials to assist evacuees returning to the U.S. from China. When requested, our role is to provide blankets, comfort kits, snacks, stuffed animals and other support items for those who have been quarantined at government facilities. The American Red Cross will continue to work with U.S. officials to determine what additional support may be needed in the coming days and weeks.Overseas, Red Cross and Red Crescent volunteers are supporting communities in preparing for and protecting their families from getting sick. Red Cross and Red Crescent help is tailored to each country depending on its epidemic preparedness and response needs. For example, the Red Cross of China is supporting its government to help meet the demand for ambulance services and medical items—and many of its volunteers are visiting people at their homes and on the streets to check their temperatures. In other countries, Red Cross and Red Crescent teams are educating communities about how to mitigate the spread of this virus, offering community-based health and hygiene promotion, providing access to basic services, and fighting rumors and stigma.It is important to note that there have been no reported blood transfusion transmissions of respiratory viruses including coronaviruses and influenza-like viruses worldwide at this time. As always, the American Red Cross remains dedicated to providing the safest, most reliable blood products possible to patients in need in the U.S.While the risk of contracting any coronavirus through a blood transfusion is extremely low, out of an abundance of caution, the Red Cross asks that all individuals who have traveled to China and its special administrative regions, Hong Kong and Macau, postpone their blood donation until 28 days following return to the U.S. The Red Cross also asks individuals who have been diagnosed with 2019 coronavirus or who cared for, lived with or had direct contact with body fluids of a person with 2019 coronavirus or suspected 2019 Coronavirus to self-defer, or postpone donating blood or platelets for 28 days. We continue to evaluate all emerging risks in collaboration with AABB, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.Donating blood is a safe process and people should not hesitate to give or receive blood. The need for blood is constant, and volunteer donors are the only source of blood for those in need of transfusions. We urge healthy individuals to schedule a blood or platelet donation appointment at redcrossblood.org.Resources:For everyday health safety and preparedness steps people in the U.S. can take now in response to coronavirus concerns, please review these helpful tips.For the latest information on this coronavirus outbreak please visit the CDC website.  (WLAF NEWS PUBLISHED – 02/28/2020-2PM)Share this:FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

Late equaliser denies Brentford victory at Leeds

Posted on

first_img Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook Leeds 1 Brentford 1New signing Marco Djuricin scored on his debut but Brentford had to settle for a point at Elland Road.AdChoices广告The on-loan Red Bull Salzburg striker took just 30 minutes to open his Bees account, providing the finishing touch from an Alan Judge pass.Both sides hit the woodwork in the second half before Leeds levelled 14 minutes from time.Brentford substitute Ryan Woods, also making his first appearance, was dispossessed and Mirco Antenucci clipped a shot beyond David Button.Austria international Djuricin had been involved from the off and Brentford went close in the opening minute, Gaetano Berardi clearing off the line to deny Konstantin Kerschbaumer.At the other end, Bees keeper David Button saved from Charlie Taylor from distance and former Brentford midfielder Sturt Dallas curled a right-footed shot well over.After the break, Jake Bidwell nodded across the face of goal while Djuricin clipped the post as the Bees started the second half strongly.Leeds hit back, though, and Chris Wood’s deflected effort was pushed against the woodwork by Button.Lasse Vibe went close for Brentford as he fired just over from 25 yards but the home side, managed by ex-Bees boss Uwe Rosler, equalised when Woods was robbed of the ball and Antenucci planted his shot past Button.Both sides could have won it, as Bees substitute Philipp Hofmann poked wide while Antenucci forced Button into an injury-time save. Brentford: Button; Colin (Woods 74), Dean, Tarkowski, Bidwell; McCormack, Diagouraga, Kerschbaumer; Vibe, Djuricin (Hofmann 63 (Canos 85)), Judge.Subs not used: Bonham, O’Connell, Barbet, Udumaga. See also:Dijkhuizen insists Bees deserved to winlast_img read more

2017 Orioles preview: Caleb Joseph

Posted on

first_imgWith Opening Day less than a month away, we’ll take a look at a member of the 2017 Orioles every day as they try to return to the postseason for the fourth time in six years.March 1 – Manny Machado March 2 – Kevin Gausman March 3 – Adam Jones March 4 – Darren O’Day March 5 – Seth Smith March 6 – Mike WrightC Caleb JosephOpening Day age: 30Contract status: Under club control through the 2020 season2016 stats: .174/.216/.197, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 7 R, 0 SB, 141 PAWhy to be impressed: His extreme struggles at the plate aside, Joseph remained an above-average defensive catcher as he was worth two defensive runs saved and threw out 31 percent of runners attempting to steal. He also remained an asset as a pitch framer and was valued at 2.7 runs above average in that department, according to Stat Corner.Why to be concerned: Joseph set a major league record for most plate appearances without an RBI in a season, an alarming development hastened by a testicular injury that required surgery and sidelined him for more than a month. His career 7.3 percent extra-base hit rate entering 2016 plummeted to 2.1 percent in 2016 and his contact rate dropped by more than two percent from his first two seasons.2017 outlook: It’s easy to bury Joseph after a historically-inept season, but his .660 on-base plus slugging percentage over his first 630 major league plate appearances is a reasonable sample suggesting that he can be a solid backup. With a healthy spring and improved luck from his .221 batting average on balls in play in 2016, Joseph should return to being an acceptable reserve with above-average defensive skills. Not-so-scientific projections for 2017: .222/.280/.360, 5 HR, 17 RBI, 19 R, 0 SB, 191 PAlast_img read more

EPL: Alonso Brace Rescue Draw For Chelsea

Posted on

first_imgMarco Alonso struck twice as Chelsea stormed back from a goal down to snatch a 2-2 draw away to AFC Bournemouth in their Premier League clash at the Vitality Stadium on Saturday.Alonso opened scoring by firing a rebound after Olivier Giroud had flicked a Reece James cross on to the bar.Giroud should have made it 2-0 soon after the restart, but he contrived to miss the target from point-blank range.The miss proved costly as Lerma and King netted in the 54th and 57th minutes to gift Bournemouth a temporary lead but Alonso had other plans for the afternoon as he headed in a rebound after Ramsdale had parried a shot from Pedro.Chelsea will stay fourth no matter what happens this weekend – they’re four points above Manchester United and five clear of Tottenham and Sheffield United.Relatedlast_img read more

Nigeria 2-1 Ghana at Africa U20

Posted on

first_imgNigeria’s Flying Eagles got their 2011 African Youth Championship campaign off to great start, defeating rivals Ghana 2-1 in their opening Group B game at the Dobsonville Stadium in Soweto.The battle of the two West African teams was a real battle of attrition on a difficult pitch – not only was it heavy from the large amount of rain in recent days, it was also bumpy and cut-up from having three successive games on it over the weekend.Nonetheless, John Obuh’s team edged the match thanks to a brace from striker Innocent Nwofor, though his second goal was a complete fluke.Nigeria started the stronger of the two teams, with star attacker Ahmed Musa looking dangerous down the right flank, while the lanky Nwofor posed a troubling aerial threat.The Flying Eagles deservedly took the lead in the 17th minute, taking advantage of some poor defending from their Ghanaian counterparts.A cross from the right flank was flicked-on by Abdul Ajagun and Innocent Nwofor was able to fire the ball beyond the reach of goalkeeper James Achampong to make it 1-0. The goal seemed to spur the Black Satellites into action and they got back on level terms in the 32nd minute. Right-back Richmond Nketiah crossed to the near post from a corner kick and Kwame Nsor scored with a glancing header.The score remained 1-1 up to half time, but Nsor should have put Ghana ahead just a few minutes before the interval, skewing a shot wide of the target after Nigeria had failed to clear a straightforward free kick.Both teams had their chances to add to the score in the second half but it took until the 82nd minute for the deadlock to be broken.Nwofor found himself in space on the right flank and looked to be lining up a cross – the ball bobbled up off the pitch, causing the attacker to mis-time his kick, but the ball looped over a helpless Acheampong and found the back of the net.It was either the most brilliant piece of innovation from Nwofor, or – more likely – an utter fluke. Either way, it was enough to decide the game in Nigeria’s favour. Source: MTNFootball.comlast_img read more

Real still top football rich list

Posted on

first_imgReal Madrid’s revenues of 480m euros (£401m) topped the Deloitte league table of the world’s richest football clubs for the seventh straight year.Deloitte’s Football Money League, based on data for season 2010/11, says Real will match Manchester United’s eight-year record if they stay top next year.Real’s arch-rivals Barcelona remained in second place, ahead of Manchester United, who stayed third.Bayern Munich, Arsenal and Chelsea are fourth, fifth and sixth respectively.Unchanged at topThe top seven clubs stayed in exactly the same positions as in the previous year.Aston Villa fell out of the league entirely, failing to hold on to their 20th position and leaving English clubs holding six places out of the top 20. Liverpool fell one spot to ninth place in this year’s list.All of the 20 clubs in the list are from the “big five” European leagues, with Italy contributing five clubs, Germany four, Spain three and France down to two, from three in the previous year.Together, the top 20 clubs earned 4.4bn euros, a rise of 3% on the previous year.Spanish rivalsNine of the 20 clubs saw their revenues grow in double digits in 2010/11. Although seven of them saw a fall in revenue, the authors said that this was mostly down to weaker on-pitch performances, causing falls in ticket sales and merchandising, rather than the effect of weakness in eurozone economies.Barcelona’s shirt sponsorship deal with the Qatar Foundation is worth about 30m euros per season, according to the report.This, coupled with the club’s 3.5m-euro prize money for winning the Fifa World Cup, may enable the Spanish club to catch up with its arch-rival Real next year, the report suggests.Both Spanish clubs are approaching record revenue levels of 500m euros and may top this in the next few years, says the report.German club Schalke leapt six places to 10th after a strong performance in last year’s season, which took the club to the semi-final in the Uefa Champions League. In next year’s report, however, Schalke will be edged out of the top 10 by Manchester City, say the report’s authors, after considering City’s heavy financial support from Abu Dhabi investors and its participation in the 2011/12 Champions League.last_img read more