Month: December 2019
Romelu Lukaku Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois has refused to blame manager Jose Mourinho for getting rid of Romelu Lukaku.The Belgian forward was signed by the Blues as the long-term replacement for legendary lone striker Didier Drogba.But he got tired of being a bit-part player under the Portuguese and forced through a loan and then a transfer to Everton.This week he struck his 50th goal for the Merseyside club, while Chelsea striker Diego Costa is struggling to find the net.But Courtois, ahead of his side’s Champions League match with Porto, refused to blame the Special One for letting Lukaku move on before he could prove his potential.When asked if Chelsea and Mourinho made a mistake, Courtois said: “I am really happy for Romelu but we are playing Porto tomorrow [Wednesday] not Everton.” 1
36. Matteo Darmian (right back) 28. Morgan Schneiderlin (centre midfield) 1. David de Gea (goalkeeper) – click the yellow arrow above, right, to see the predicted Man United line up in squad number order 11 12. Chris Smalling (centre back) 10, Wayne Rooney (centre forward) 11 17. Daley Blind (centre back) 9. Anthony Martial (striker) 11 Man United can catch Tottenham up with victory against Newcastle at St James’ Park.Manager Louis van Gaal’s side are three points behind fourth place, but the Dutchman has some injury worries.Bastian Schweinsteiger played against Sheffield United in the FA Cup, but was injured later in the game. “It shall be difficult of course [for Schweinsteiger to face Newcastle],” Van Gaal said, adding: “I don’t know yet but I think he has a knee problem.”Andreas Pereira is an option in the middle as is Morgan Schneiderlin and Michael Carrick, who were rested along with Ashley Young. Fans will hope the manager does not turn to Marouane Fellaini, though.Click the yellow arrow above, right, to see the predicted line up. 7. Memphis Depay (winger) 11 11 11 16. Michael Carrick (centre midfield) 11 11 11 11 35. Jesse Lingard (winger) 11 18. Ashley Young (left back)
1 Dejan Lovren Liverpool will be without defender Dejan Lovren for Sunday’s clash between England’s two most successful clubs.Jurgen Klopp had hoped the Croatian would be fit to face the Red Devils but Lovren is still recovering from the hamstring injury, which has kept him out since the Stoke game earlier this month.Forwards Daniel Sturridge, Philippe Coutinho and Divock Origi are all still on the treatment table and are likely to remain there until February.However, the Reds have been boosted by news that Jordan Ibe has recovered from his hamstring injury and is in the squad.In the away changing room, Louis van Gaal has confirmed that Michael Carrick is out of the game for Manchester United, having not featured since making his 400th appearance for the club against Swansea at the start of the month. Other than the Englishman, Van Gaal’s injury problems have eased up after the busy festive schedule, with the likes of Ashley Young and Matteo Darmian returning in recent weeks.Sunday’s game has probably come too soon for Bastian Schweinsteiger and Phil Jones, who are nearing a return, while long-term casualties Luke Shaw, Antonio Valencia and Marcos Rojo continue their rehabilitation.United fans may get to see Adnan Januzaj back in a red shirt for the first time since his return from Borussia Dortmund with the Belgian having a chance of making the bench after a full week of training. Liverpool v Man United is live on talkSPORT at 2.05pm on Sunday 17 January.
Ray Stubbs was joined by Darren Lewis and Tom Collomosse to cast their eye over the main sporting stories, including another weekend of action-packed football.
Leighton Baines in action for Everton 1 Everton full-back Leighton Baines is still struggling with ankle problems and is set to see a specialist, Roberto Martinez has revealed.The England international has undergone two operations over the past year and has made just 12 appearances this season.He has been on the bench in recent weeks, with his last appearances coming as a late substitute against Aston Villa on Tuesday night.Martinez expects the 31-year-old to be available for Saturday’s Premier League clash with West Ham at Goodison Park, but admits he is still not 100 per cent.“With Leighton, we have a little bit of a worry – he has been carrying a little bit of a niggle in his ankle and we have to make sure that gets right,” said Martinez.“Since the surgery, it has been giving him a little bit of soreness and managing that pain at times has been a little bit difficult.“When he came on against Aston Villa (on Tuesday) he felt at times he had to play through the pain, and we have to make sure we solve that, because it is very unfair on Leighton.“We will see a specialist, but it shouldn’t stop him from training.”John Stones has also been out of the Everton side in recent weeks.He has returned to fitness after a hamstring issue but has been left on the bench for the past two games.Martinez, however, insists the 21-year-old still has a huge role to play for the Toffees between now and the end of the season.“John is still a very young man who has already played the biggest amount of minutes he ever has in his professional career,” he said.“So it’s important he is fully refreshed and ready for the final push in the campaign.“He is a very important footballer for us.”
LAS VEGAS – A man accused of pulling a gun while O.J. Simpson confronted two sports memorabilia dealers in a Las Vegas hotel room told a judge on Monday that he’ll accept a plea deal and testify against Simpson and two other men. Michael McClinton, 49, of Las Vegas, became the third man to agree to plead guilty to reduced charges in the case. He told Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Joe M. Bonaventure he will plead guilty to robbery and conspiracy to commit robbery, felonies that combined could get him probation or up to 11 years in prison. McClinton spoke only to acknowledge he understood the terms of the plea agreement and to waive his preliminary hearing. In brief comments outside the courtroom, McClinton’s lawyer, William Terry, declined to say what testimony McClinton would provide. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.McClinton’s decision to take a plea came as both sides gear up for a Nov. 8 preliminary hearing. According to police reports, McClinton brought two guns at Simpson’s request to a Sept. 13 confrontation with collectibles dealers Bruce Fromong and Alfred Beardsley at an off-Strip casino hotel. McClinton wielded one gun and acted like a police offer, according to others in the hotel room. McClinton’s testimony would provide prosecutors with another account contradicting Simpson’s claim that no guns were involved when he went to retrieve items he said belonged to him. Simpson’s lawyer, Yale Galanter, did not immediately respond to a request for comment. He has criticized Clark County District Attorney David Roger for “giving away the courthouse” while cutting deals with co-defendants. Simpson and co-defendants Clarence Stewart and Charles Ehrlich face 12 criminal charges, including kidnapping, armed robbery, assault with a deadly weapon, conspiracy and coercion, and one gross misdemeanor, conspiracy to commit a crime. A kidnapping conviction alone could result in a sentence of life in prison with parole. Charles Cashmore and Walter Alexander have pleaded guilty to reduced charges and agreed to testify against the three men. Alexander, a Simpson golfing buddy from Mesa, Ariz., told police that Simpson said to bring guns, and told him later to deny that guns were used. Alexander pleaded guilty to felony conspiracy to commit robbery, and could face probation or up to six years in prison. Cashmore, a journeyman union laborer from Las Vegas, pleaded guilty to felony accessory to robbery. He could receive probation or up to five years in prison. Authorities say memorabilia taken from the hotel room included football game balls signed by Simpson, Joe Montana lithographs, baseballs autographed by Pete Rose and Duke Snider, photos of Simpson with the Heisman Trophy, and framed awards and plaques, together valued at as much as $100,000, according to police reports. For the latest news and observations on crime in Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, check out the Daily News’ crime blog by clicking here.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsSo far, the university has moved cautiously during the standoff, which began Dec. 2. The root cause was the university’s decision to chop dozens of evergreen coast live oaks to build a $125 million sports training facility, intended mainly for California Golden Bears athletes. Scuffles have broken out between police and the half-dozen or so tree-sitters occupying branches at any time. It’s unclear exactly how many protesters there are; many rotate in and out at night and wear masks, and they usually give false names. It’s hard to say how many are students and how many are activists unaffiliated with the school. Although some spend a few hours on a branch to show solidarity, others seem to hang out for days or weeks. Some trees accommodate several protesters on planks and tarps. On the ground, supporters hoist food, water and reading materials in buckets. They haul out trash, excrement and other waste. Others keep an eye out for authorities, then tell tree-sitters – who are trespassing – to stay put for fear they’ll be arrested when they jump down. Campus officials have put chain-link fences around the grove. University lawyers have told a judge they are considering pruning lower branches that hang over the fence – eliminating the supply route for buckets. BERKELEY – University of California at Berkeley officials have won the legal right to oust tree-sitters who’ve been standing in the way of a new sports center for nearly a year. But how do you uproot a tree-sitter in one of America’s most politically correct cities? “Extremely difficult,” acknowledges campus spokesman Dan Mogulof. Plenty of people have suggestions: Fire hoses, skunk spray and tranquilizer darts are among the thorny ideas Internet posters have planted. Both sides say they don’t want a treetop confrontation in Berkeley, home of the Free Speech Movement of 1964, when students protested the university’s ban on campus political activities and touched off a national debate over freedom of expression. The city is also home to People’s Park, a haunt of ’60s radicalism, and site of a 1969 occupation by the National Guard on the order of former Gov. Ronald Reagan. Last month, a judge ruled that university officials could oust all tree-sitters protesting a planned new sports center. But given the political sensitivities and physical challenges, officials have been unable to uproot the protesters. “It’s not an easy thing to do, to climb into a tree, first of all,” said Doug Buckwald, member of a community group called Save the Oaks at the Stadium, whose members support the tree-sitters but remain on the ground. “If you’re climbing up into a tree to try to wrestle with somebody and drag them down you are taking on a high level of risk not only for yourself but also for the tree-sitter.” Mogulof declined to comment on what tactics campus police might use but emphasized they were not planning “forcible removal.” “Any decisions we make are going to be guided by an overriding desire to minimize the chance of harm coming to our officers or the people in the trees,” Mogulof said. Laughter and guitar music wafted from the trees this week as sitters enjoyed mild temperatures.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
NORWALK – Deputy District Attorney Shelley Dominguez said Adeline Garcia was hit with a bar stool, a drawer and a broomstick, and both of her wrists were broken. A key witness said he and two others left a 23-year-old La Mirada man – accused of brutally murdering his 86-year-old great-aunt – in her home on the day Garcia was found dead. Eugene Silos, 23, testifying in Norwalk Superior Court on the first day of trial Monday for Eric Steve Caballero, said they had gone to Garcia’s home in the 15000 block of Stambrook Drive in La Mirada on the morning of March 4, 2005. “Eric got out to see if we could stay in the house,” Silos said, referring to a Chevrolet Astro van they were in. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsAfter about 30 minutes and an altercation between Alberto Martinez and someone in the house, Silos, Martinez and Mayra Huitron left without Caballero. At about 4 p.m. that day, Garcia was found dead by her then-14-year-old great-granddaughter, Katherine Cardoza. Garcia lived with Cardoza and her father, Nelson. Caballero is charged with murdering Garcia, as well as robbery, burglary, elder abuse, and stealing two guns from the home and a 2003 Dodge Ram 1550 that belonged to her grandson. Special circumstances are included in the charges that could result in a penalty of life imprisonment without parole. Garcia died from what Dominguez, the prosecutor, described as “blunt force trauma.” Los Angeles County sheriff’s Deputy Lillian Peck testified that the bedroom looked like a big fight had happened there. “The room was ransacked,” Peck said. “There was furniture everywhere and blood everywhere. It was awful.” Garcia was wearing one shoe and another shoe of hers was found in the kitchen, she said. Caballero’s attorney, Barbara McDaniel, said she agrees the murder was brutal, but that it wasn’t done by her client. “The dispute arises as to who killed Adeline Garcia,” McDaniel said in her opening statement. “I submit to you that my client didn’t kill Mrs. Garcia.” In her opening statement, Dominguez said in addition to the evidence that Caballero was in the Garcia home, he was wearing shoes with blood on them. The trial continues today. during her opening statement firstname.lastname@example.org (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3022160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
23 20= Aaron Ramsey (Arsenal) – 47 fouls conceded 7. Etienne Capoue (Watford) – 53 fouls conceded 23 23 20= Manchester United’s Chris Smalling conceded 47 fouls in the 2015/16 Premier League season – Click the right arrow above to see who the dirtiest player of the campaign was… 15= Marko Arnautovic (Stoke) – 49 fouls conceded 23 20= Odion Ighalo (Watford) – 47 fouls conceded 10= Dele Alli (Tottenham) – 50 fouls conceded 15= Jack Colback (Newcastle) – 49 fouls conceded 23 23 23 8= Morgan Schneiderlin (Manchester United) – 52 fouls conceded 6. Danny Drinkwater (Leicester City) – 54 fouls conceded 10= Moussa Sissoko (Newcastle United) – 50 fouls conceded 5. Fernandinho (Manchester City) – 55 fouls conceded Another incredible Premier League season is over and it’s time for reflection.For all the on-pitch brilliance we get to see each week from international stars, there can be an ugly side to the game.At times we’ve seen destruction can be beautiful, with Leicester City’s N’Golo Kante nipping at heels and intercepting passes before launching devastating attacks.Others are less subtle though, often mistiming their tackles, resulting in fouls and sometimes cautions – but who are the worst culprits?Click the right arrow above to find out which Premier League players have conceded the most fouls… 20= James Milner (Liverpool) – 47 fouls conceded 10= Victor Wanyama (Southampton) – 50 fouls conceded 23 23 23 10= Troy Deeney (Watford) – 50 fouls conceded 23 23 4. Erik Pieters (Stoke City) – 58 fouls conceded 23 23 18= Mousa Dembele (Tottenham) – 48 fouls conceded 23 23 2. Erik Lamela (Tottenham) – 66 fouls conceded 23 23 18= Jordan Ayew (Aston Villa) – 48 fouls conceded 23 8= Eric Dier (Tottenham) – 52 fouls conceded 23 23 10= Aleksandar Mitrovic (Newcastle United) – 50 fouls conceded 23 15= Lucas Leiva (Liverpool) – 49 fouls conceded 3. Claudio Yacob (West Brom) – 62 fouls conceded 23 1. Idrissa Gueye (Aston Villa) – 68 fouls conceded
Scroll down to see who Chelsea face and when in the new Premier League season 13/08/2016 15:00 West Ham United (h)20/08/2016 15:00 Watford (a)27/08/2016 15:00 Burnley (h)10/09/2016 15:00 Swansea City (a)17/09/2016 15:00 Liverpool (h)24/09/2016 15:00 Arsenal (a)01/10/2016 15:00 Hull City (a)15/10/2016 15:00 Leicester City (h)22/10/2016 15:00 Manchester United (h)29/10/2016 15:00 Southampton (a)05/11/2016 15:00 Everton (h)19/11/2016 15:00 Middlesbrough (a)26/11/2016 15:00 Tottenham Hotspur (h)03/12/2016 15:00 Manchester City (a)10/12/2016 15:00 West Bromwich Albion (h)13/12/2016 19:45 Sunderland (a)17/12/2016 15:00 Crystal Palace (a)26/12/2016 15:00 A.F.C. Bournemouth (h)31/12/2016 15:00 Stoke City (h)02/01/2017 15:00 Tottenham Hotspur (a)14/01/2017 15:00 Leicester City (a)21/01/2017 15:00 Hull City (h)01/02/2017 20:00 Liverpool (a)04/02/2017 15:00 Arsenal (h)11/02/2017 15:00 Burnley (a)25/02/2017 15:00 Swansea City (h)04/03/2017 15:00 West Ham United (a)11/03/2017 15:00 Watford (h)18/03/2017 15:00 Stoke City (a)01/04/2017 15:00 Crystal Palace (h)05/04/2017 19:45 Manchester City (h)08/04/2017 15:00 A.F.C. Bournemouth (a)15/04/2017 15:00 Manchester United (a)22/04/2017 15:00 Southampton (h)29/04/2017 15:00 Everton (a)06/05/2017 15:00 Middlesbrough (h)13/05/2017 15:00 West Bromwich Albion (a)21/05/2017 15:00 Sunderland (h) 1